+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flying with a 1 year old

Dp and I will be going to Perth in 2 weeks with our 14 month old and nearly 4 year old. We aren't worried about flying with DD1 as she is old enough and we can distract her easier. We are worried about flying with DD2 tho as she's very active and can't sit still for very long. Does anyone have any tips on the situation?

TIA

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

To have a drink or to before hand lol iv done that 4 time fly from Perth to qld and the other way around with a 1yr old and 2yr old. It's hectic. Colouring books helped. And games on my phone helped (in airplane mode) snacks, toys that's all I can think of, good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmm Il be 33 weeks pregnant, so a drink or 2 is out of the question. Lol

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We flew to Perth and back with DS when he was 1 year old....I HIGHLY recommend flying during their sleep time if she's the type of child who sleeps anywhere. If not, then don't fly during sleep time as she will just be overtired and really cranky.

And for when she wakes up...have snacks on hands and some little toys/books that she has never seen before (make sure you give them to her one at a time). Ipad/Iphone are great for games.

Don't expect her to sit still in the seat for 5 hours...take her for regular strolls up and down the aisles when she starts to get fidgety.

Pack spare clothes for both her and yourself and your DP, in case she spews on you (DH was spewed on during another flight and had to sit in it...).

Oh and the Ergo was our best friend at the airport and once DS started to get tired on the plane (popped him in it and he fell straight asleep).
    Last edited by Witwicky; 17-08-2012 at 15:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Mum2Lil13  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we are off to thailand and laos with our 1yo too. for in-flight i'm packing the ipad (she loves the fisher price apps) with a few episodes of dora. you can also buy earphone splitters, so baby sits on you and you can both watch the in flight movie or ipad.
    peekaboo bags are great, just don't pull them out until on the plane. snacks like pouch smoothies and crackers are good but not messy.
    finger puppets (cheap ones from ikea) great too and if you lose one you won't care.
    i'd stay away from any toys with lots of pieces (learnt that with my son). maybe a couple of crayons and a disposable coloring in placemat.
    i'm also taking my sling in case she wants to sleep and snuggle but i want my arms free. my sling is simply a sarong with ring slings so it doubles as a light blanket/wipe cloth should i need it. also great for hanging around the airport if you don't have a stroller.
    enjoy perth! all the wildflowers are coming out here so it is gorgeous

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to book flights at night....just did a 5 hour flight few weeks ago..she fell asleep about 40 min into flight!! (3.5 yrs) done this since she was a baby..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (17-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    dummy - their little ears don't handle the pressure as well especially at take off and landing, so if they are chewing it is a bit easier for them.

movies for them to watch in flight.

those soft books that they can chew and use as a pillow.

rusks, biscuits, teething stuff.

basically distractions

Thanks
    Reviews

I just took my dd 18 months on a 6 hour flight to Bali, we left when it was her nap time. In the first 2 hours she was pretty active, we just fed her and read books and eventually she just crashed and had an hour and a half sleep. For the last two and a half hours she just ate and I had peppa pig on my iPad so she watched a lot of episodes and she was great. She is a very active child and I was stressing about flying with her too she was really great on the flight and we had no dramas. Just lots of food and drink as well as toys and distractions and it will be fine. On the way back we flew at night and she slept the whole way home good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stickers are great. Also get one of those blow things with the ******ers on the end that people put in party bags. DS LOVED it when we blew those at him on the plane.
    I had a little bag with bits and bobs to pull out now and then throughout the flights. Also take some snacks for her, they really do pad out time.

We are off to Singapore, then Croatia in a few weeks, with our 2 3/4 year old DS1, and 9 month old DS2. Should be interesting.....