+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I wouldn't make a decision based on or one (or even two) research articles. It is important to know if the results have been replicated, are the articles peer reviewed, what is the research design, what are the flaws, are the statistics clear and how have they come up with the conclusion that the monitoring was not helpful.

I would talk to him about the concerns you have now that you have reviewed some of the literature. Good on you for taking control of you and your babies health, but take advantage of the knowledge the OB has as well - some things an article can't and wont cover.

Good luck with it all.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 18-08-2012 at 06:11.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, as wherewerewe said, the reviews actually culminate all the large studies into one big result, so the stats in the article reflect a huge sample over a large span of time (37 000 births to be exact). It's the best way to draw a conclusion.

In answer to you wherewerewe - I'm perfectly happy to agree to monitoring if specific reasons come up. At present none of the scans have shown any indication of any of the problems common with GDM, and my sugars are very tightly controlled and in the target range 99% of the time. I don't want to be monitored because it's the done thing, but I will do it if it needs doing.

I had GDM with my last pregnancy and had intermittent monitoring and all was fine. I feel I coped well because I was able to get into the bath and move around, so I really want to avoid the restrictions of the monitor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (18-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't looked at the studies, just saw a post here where it said one "article" provided the evidence required. If it was a cochrane review or meta analysis that makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 18-08-2012 at 14:08.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Savingfishfromdrowning  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wherewerewe91 View Post

The Cochrane reviews which myself and a couple of others are the gold standard of research world wide. They are a review of all the evidence available and provide conclusions as to whether an outcome is statistically significant or if more research is needed. It's been proved time and time again that CTG's increase the risk of caesarean sections without decreasing the risk of neonatal mortality. I was taught this over and over again in my midwifery degree and after doing a fetal surveillance workshop and learning the basics of the physiology behind interpreting the traces it's very easy to see how it can be misinterpreted negatively.
    Any reason why you put the in this quote? It was your post that stated you posted the more recent "article" (instead of calling it a review which is the correct term for such a document) which I based my comment on!
    Last edited by Ulysses; 18-08-2012 at 14:25.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As an aside... surely in the age of iPhones and whatnot someone, somewhere could have invented a monitor that doesn't need wires or elastic straps and can be worn in water??

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    As an aside... surely in the age of iPhones and whatnot someone, somewhere could have invented a monitor that doesn't need wires or elastic straps and can be worn in water??
    They have....

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.perry-memorial.org/WHCU/FetalMonitoring.htm

well, ok it has straps but yeah ticks the rest.

FWIW I don't support CFM unless there are strong indications due to the high false positive results.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Savingfishfromdrowning  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This one

http://www.monicahealthcare.com/

Looks good too. Still has wires though.