+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Finger food ideas

My DS is 8 months almost 9 and I'm looking for finger food ideas. Including things i can take with us when we go out on trips or to dinner. I thought this had been asked before but I can't find it now so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Also interested.

DS is 9&1/2 months and we only have the following finger foods...

Pieces of fruit - pears, apples, cherry tomatoes, madarine

Pieces of cheese

Toast soldiers with avocado spread onto it.

Pieces of veg - broccoli and cauliflower florets, baby carrots, capsicum sticks, baby corn

I recently saw a savoury mini muffin recipe on here that I plan on trying with cheese and herbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Not all these are all that portable but DD just turned 1 and has had the below since about 10months:

Fruit - she LOVES banana and kiwi fruit, both easy to transport
    Baked veg - baked sweet potato 'chips' are a favourite
    Meatballs - I think they're called porcupine balls, made with mince & rice, DD would eat 50 if I let her!
    Potato & salmon patties - I make mashed potato and mix in tinned salmon, crumb using vita brits or wheat-bix and pan fry (freeze after cooking and reheat in the oven)
    Mini muffins
    Yoghurt tubs are good for portable food but they're not really finger food
    Pikelets and fritters

That's all I can think of at the moment!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Elijahs mum is the guru for finger food but my suggestions are - chick pea patties, French toast, chicken nuggets, meatballs, cheese sticks, savoury muffins, banana bread, boiled eggs.

This week I baked cous cous mini muffins and zucchini slice for my little lady.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Elijahs mum is the guru for finger food but my suggestions are - chick pea patties, French toast, chicken nuggets, meatballs, cheese sticks, savoury muffins, banana bread, boiled eggs.

This week I baked cous cous mini muffins and zucchini slice for my little lady.
    Aww thanks!
    I have only ever given my DS finger foods when he was younger so I have a few!

- salmon nuggets ( or any fish or crab really) easy to freeze - grill a boneless , skinless piece of salmon, steam broccoli, corn, peas, ( chop broccoli into corn size pieces ) flake the salmon in with the veggies, add 1 clove crushed garlic, fresh chopped coriander, chia seeds, 2 eggs and enough rice or bread crumbs to make the mixture into nugget shapes, shallow fry in olive oil until lightly brown

- mini falafel balls
    - mini meat or chicken balls
    - zucchini slice made in mini muffin tin
    - rice cakes ( take dips or nut butters)
    - egg pancakes cut into strips
    - mini rice or quinoa balls (Aranchini)
    - cucumber sticks ( skin on ) are great fresh teething rusks , you can take dip or yogurt for dipping them
    - banana is the easiest fruit
    - freeze dried fruit when they are good chewers!
    - cauliflower fritters
    - corn and pea fritters
    - veggie nuggets
    - veggie frittata
    - bliss balls

For emergency snacks I use ( and still do!) happy baby organic rice puffs - I get my local iga to get in for me or most organic shops have them, they are cereal sized snacks 100% organic rice with vitamins added and a small amount of organic apple, banana, strawberry or sweet potato added for flavor

When DS was about 8-9 months and we were going out we tried to get him involved with food at whatever restaurant we were at , at Chinese I would ask for plain steamed Chinese broccoli or bok Choy for him to munch on, at Italian I would get them to slice up cucumber, feta and olives or just plain noodles, at cafes wholemeal toast with avocado or dips with pita bread etc
    Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 17-08-2012 at 15:46.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post: