+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read a couple of things the other day saying its fine to add just expressed milk to chilled EBM. Ill see if i can find the link. I'm not game to do it myself, I chill both lots then combine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePixie View Post
    so, what I should be doing is leaving the milk I have expressed, on the bench and adding any subsequent milk to that container before putting into the fridge all at once? Since BM can stay out at room temp for approx 6 hours. Is that a better thing to do?
    My concern is, If the first 60mls is in the fridge and I chill any new (and almost always smaller) amounts before combining with the first lot, then all that good fatty goodness would get let behind in the second container.....?
    No. Put the expressed milk in the fridge. Express into another container and put that in the fridge, when they are both cold add them together. DONT leave it on the bench (im pretty sure you can only leave it out for 1hr, but even then i wouldnt).

In regards to the fat layer, if you add the second lot of milk as soon as its cold there wouldnt be much left behind. Just swirl the milk around first to dissolve the fat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    so, what I should be doing is leaving the milk I have expressed, on the bench and adding any subsequent milk to that container before putting into the fridge all at once? Since BM can stay out at room temp for approx 6 hours. Is that a better thing to do?
    My concern is, If the first 60mls is in the fridge and I chill any new (and almost always smaller) amounts before combining with the first lot, then all that good fatty goodness would get let behind in the second container.....?
    You can just shake the milk before combining it, that will mix in the fat no issues.

Why are you combining it? Is it to freeze? I suggest you freeze in smaller batches anyway. I suggest freezing in 30 - 50ml lots so that you don't need to defrost a lot only to have bubs refuse it, or refuse it after half of the amount. My dd drinks 90 - 160ml in a pre-bed full feed now (she's 10.5 months), but previously it was anywhere from 30 - 100ml.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm combining what I express so that I don't have several 200ml containers sitting in the fridge with only 40 or so mls each in them. I just combine what I express in a day, with a new container for each day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    You can just shake the milk before combining it, that will mix in the fat no issues.

Why are you combining it? Is it to freeze? I suggest you freeze in smaller batches anyway. I suggest freezing in 30 - 50ml lots so that you don't need to defrost a lot only to have bubs refuse it, or refuse it after half of the amount. My dd drinks 90 - 160ml in a pre-bed full feed now (she's 10.5 months), but previously it was anywhere from 30 - 100ml.
    Just a note, its recommended that you dont shake it, but swirl it. Shaking destroys it apparently.

I'm combining what I express so that I don't have several 200ml containers sitting in the fridge with only 40 or so mls each in them. I just combine what I express in a day, with a new container for each day.
    Up to you i suppose, i wouldnt do it due to the high risk or introducing bacteria, and babies have sensitive stomachs.

Why not have just two containers on the go during the day, one chilled for the day and one with fresh expressed milk chilling, then add and wash the container before expressing again, that way you wont make your baby sick.