• Potty first

4 28.57%
  • Barely used potty before switching to toilet

1 7.14%
  • Straight to toilet before potty

9 64.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Potty First Or Straight On Toilet?

What did you do with your kids?

I had DS after working in childcare for 4yrs, so all I saw was toilet training, not potty training. I grew to dislike potties and pull up nappies. When it came time, my DS was toilet trained without pull ups and without a potty. I didnt (and still dont) understand the point of using a potty rather than going straight on a toilet. I am not saying it doesnt work...because obviously it does....but surely Im not the only person who doesnt like the idea of a potty? ESPECIALLY one that is used in living areas.

Each to their own,every situation is different and whatever works works....great! Wonderful! ...this isnt a dig, its a genuine question because Im curious.

So, did you use a potty first or straight to toilet?

Poll to follow. Choices will be:
    * Potty first
    * Barely used potty before switching to toilet
    * Straight to toilet without trying potty

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Straight to toilet - we never used pullups either it was jocks or nothing.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We went straight to the toilet here. I thought it was pointless to potty train them and then have to toilet train them. I also never used pull ups or night nappies, I didn't see the point... Why tell a child they have to pee and poo in a toilet through the day but at night its ok to go in a nappy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I prefer straight to toilet but my DD was scared so we started with the potty, i didn't have to re-train her to then a toilet - she made the switch without any issues once she was comfortable.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS had muscular delays in his legs and glutes and therefore found it difficult to climb up on the toilet. So potty for him. I will be starting Miss 14 mths on a potty soon she is way too little to be able to climb on the toilet. The sooner trained the better for me cause we use cloth. A potty is no grosser than a toilet training child doing a poo on the floor. The potty gets wiped out with pine-o-clean after use. I don't see the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son went straight on the toilet when he started just before 2. thankfully he could pull himself up on the seat by that stage.

I probably prefer that method to using a potty, as I don't really want to empty it.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think pottys are from an era where children were tt anywhere from 12-24mths. Now a lot of people wait till 3 years old. There is no point getting a 3 yr old to sit on a potty when they can climb up onto the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Straight onto the toilet with one of those little step/seat things.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Potty First Or Straight On Toilet?

My DS used the potty at first because he was a bit afraid of the toilet. I kept the potty right next to the toilet and that's where he used it (not a fan of potties in the living areas or kitchen: yuck). He eventually started using the toilet and phased out the potty. Although from day dot of toilet training he used public toilets quite happily.

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used the potty in the lounge for a little while, until he got used to 'knowing' when he needed to go. Once he had the cues/signals sorted, I offered him the choice of using the potty or the toilet with the step. The potty was great for those 'i need to go RIGHT NOW' moments, and the toilet better when he could tell in advance when he needed to go and could make it in time from the living area.

I never used pull ups, I would occasionally use a nappy for the odd long car trip for the just in case factor, but I think once you start training, you really just need to go for it.