+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Family Day Care or Long Day Care?

DS who is 21 months, started at long day care for 2 days a week last month. This will increase to 3 days at the end of August.

This week we have also been offered 3 days with a family day carer, who we have met and seems really nice.

We are struggling to decide what to do. Do we ditch the long day care in favour of a more personal ‘home from home’ approach? Or go with the structure and routine of the long day care? I am hoping to be allowed to work from home for the other 2 days a week, but if not, he might have to attend both types of care! There are other people who work from home part of the week (higher up than me though!) with access to our networks to do sensitive work but I am having to go to HR to discuss it as they are being difficult about security of sensitive information issues (I am a child protection social worker).

I’d be interested to hear anyone else’s experiences and how you decided what type of care was best.

Thanks
    Reviews

For me personally it depends on the age. Tho older ones 3-5 benefit more from the structure and learning environment of daycare and the younger ones are probably better off with a smaller group. On saying that it depends on what options are avaliable to you in your area.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a huge fan of family day care but hate long day care and never considered this option for my children

What I love about family day care is it's a small group no one gets ignored and it's a home from home setting

My family day carer was fantastic she did everything I did as a mum took them to playgroups, museum outings, craft, parks etc it was great and they are not cooped up all day in the same building every day

She had routines the kids followed, set morning tea times, lunch etc - this was her business/job so she excelled at it - we were very lucky to find her and I miss her so much move we have moved to another country

She was like a mini long day centre but more personal if you know what I mean

However I haven't had any experience with long day care so i can't compare the two but I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your child.

I just wanted to spread the love for family day care

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Choose the family daycare if possible

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Family Day Care or Long Day Care?

We use family day care. It depends on the carer. Ours sets it up like a long day care, routines, different activities every day. Very structured. I wouldn't like it, if it was just free play all day. We love our carer. I call her super nanny as she gives me great advice as well. The kids are angels for her!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I prefer day car centres. If you don't get a choice then family day care is ok. I guess it also depends on your child.

My DD is 11mo and loves it. She loves playing with the other bubbas and they feed her really well. She usually has the same 2 carers and adores them. It's a 1:4 ratio, I think with 8 babies in the room.

The way I figure it at family care the mum probably has other stuff to do (cooking, washing etc) but in a centre they have nothing to do but mind and play with my bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm going against the trend here.. I worked as a family day care worker through our local council and I would never put my kids in family day care unless I knew them personally.

When attending meetings, training, etc. I met a lot of the other carers and while they come across as great people to have look after your children the reality is that they may be completely different while parents aren't there. So many of them were just in it for the job as it was so easy to be hired. All that was needed when I started was a first aid certificate and only the really good carers had certificate 3 in Childcare. I know that now certificate 3 is required and so Is a working with children check, but they are so easy to get that it doesn't really take too much effort.

I now work casually in a centre (when not pregnant or SAHMing) and find the staff to be so much more "into it" for the right reasons. There is also more accountability. They are never working alone so there is always someone else there to watch out for the children as well.

Just my opinion of the situation when i was working in the field

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I prefer day car centres. If you don't get a choice then family day care is ok. I guess it also depends on your child.

My DD is 11mo and loves it. She loves playing with the other bubbas and they feed her really well. She usually has the same 2 carers and adores them. It's a 1:4 ratio, I think with 8 babies in the room.

The way I figure it at family care the mum probably has other stuff to do (cooking, washing etc) but in a centre they have nothing to do but mind and play with my bubba.
    From what I learnt, family day care is limited to 7 (I think) kids at any given point and that includes the persons own children if they have any. I was also taught that the family daycare needs to also operate on an education framework so it isnt just free time the whole time.

Daycares and family day cares both have the same flaw.......its the staff that make the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was hoping not to have to use childcare at all, but when we had a 2 day a week gap it was necessary (our ds was just 3 years old). He went to a childcare centre & I hated it and so did he. Just the logistics of all the children, parents and teachers coming & going at different times made it hard for me or my dh to actually talk face to face with a staff member who had been looking after him during a particular day. For our ds he struggled with turning up and having all the kids already established in play and as he was shy that was really hard for him. I didn't really meet any of the other parents and hardly even met the other kids from his room (I would pick him up after 5pm so most of the centre's kids were all in the same room and there weren't many left when I came).

Then, my ds started 4yo kinder and there was an instant change. He would walk in with the other kids, and leave with them. I could talk to his teachers more readily face to face and I could meet the other parents & children. My ds & I loved this change and he did a lot better emotionally as a result (no tears at the start of the day at all).

Family Day Care is a smaller, less intimidating group of kids & a lovely single carer - much easier for a child to adjust to (and a parent for that matter). It's a lot easier to communicate with the carer and to find out what happened during the day. I was glad that my ds had a good memory & good language cause otherwise I would have had next to no idea how he spent his days at childcare. I'd doubt you'd have that problem in Family Day Care.

I'm currently working part time and my Mum looks after my dd (she looked after my ds 3 days a week for 3 years). IF I need childcare for my dd it will be Family Day Care.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    From what I learnt, family day care is limited to 7 (I think) kids at any given point and that includes the persons own children if they have any. I was also taught that the family daycare needs to also operate on an education framework so it isnt just free time the whole time.

Daycares and family day cares both have the same flaw.......its the staff that make the difference.
    Ours was (in Vic) 7 children in total (including any of your own) but only 4 could be under school age.
    We had no restrictions/directions on programming so it was basically however much or little you wanted the children to do.

So agree with your last comment, it makes such a difference.