+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Family Day Care or Long Day Care?

DS who is 21 months, started at long day care for 2 days a week last month. This will increase to 3 days at the end of August.

This week we have also been offered 3 days with a family day carer, who we have met and seems really nice.

We are struggling to decide what to do. Do we ditch the long day care in favour of a more personal ‘home from home’ approach? Or go with the structure and routine of the long day care? I am hoping to be allowed to work from home for the other 2 days a week, but if not, he might have to attend both types of care!

I’d be interested to hear anyone else’s experiences and how you decided what type of care was best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to let you know.. all daycares are now changing there structure, everything is now more "free-play" as opposed to being structured.. Have a chat to the lady who is running the one at home. They are more than happy to keep to your childs routine that you have at home, as well as come down with any rules you like..

I would love for my children to attend a family daycare ( hours are more suited as we can sometimes work weekends ) and its more family based, but Long daycares as well have great routines in place, i just feel at times they can have more children to watch than what i would prefer.. However saying this all.. My daughter is in a long day care 2 days a week and thrives in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi,

I've worked in a child care centre (for 8 years) but since I had my son I'm now doing family day care. With the new regulations that have come in recently family day care is similar to child care centre (the only differences are the obvious smaller groups, one on one care and being in a home environment). I still have to do monthly plans, individual plans etc as a child care centre does and follow the child's routine as most child care centers do.

Maybe try and do some orientation in both and see which one your ds feels more comfortable with.

Feel free to pm me if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks happymum. Yes the lady said she had to do a book with photos and write down activities she is doing so we can read it. She also has a routine she will follow and adapt to the kids. I guess my reservations are around there only being 1 lady with up to 4 kids so would she get worn out and if one or more of them is being difficult/having a tantrum how would she cope?

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD and DS have both gone to FDC! I am a huge fan!

They are pretty heavily regulated these days, and need to have similar reporting to centers in terms of routines, activities etc. My son does way more at FDC than he would have at the centers we looked at!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Thanks happymum. Yes the lady said she had to do a book with photos and write down activities she is doing so we can read it. She also has a routine she will follow and adapt to the kids. I guess my reservations are around there only being 1 lady with up to 4 kids so would she get worn out and if one or more of them is being difficult/having a tantrum how would she cope?
    Oh and this has never been a problem in our 5+ years of FDC use.

People don't do FDC for the money, they do it because they love kids. They have far far far more patience than any other people I have ever come across.

Thanks
    Reviews

Family day care if you are confident in the carer.

We switched from fdc to ldc and the longer we are in the centre the more I regret not finding another family day care.

For me fdc is a more real/family environment. Instead of children being separated in to age groups generally there is a range of ages (like most families) so kids learn to interact on that level.

Before the new framework came in I would say the structure of ldc was better but now ... I think all this 'child led' will come back to bite them in a few years.

Thanks
    Reviews

I feel uncomfortable with family day care personally. As the carer is largely there on their own I feel as though here isn't enough monitoring. I don't trust anyone with my kids like that other than our mothers. I also feel as though anyone could have access to the kids and you wouldn't know. I know it is illegal for that to happen, but lots of things are and they still happen. Those are my reasons. I know centres have risks/drawbacks too but I feel as though there is a lot more monitoring/management in a good centre.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    I feel uncomfortable with family day care personally. As the carer is largely there on their own I feel as though here isn't enough monitoring. I don't trust anyone with my kids like that other than our mothers. I also feel as though anyone could have access to the kids and you wouldn't know. I know it is illegal for that to happen, but lots of things are and they still happen. Those are my reasons. I know centres have risks/drawbacks too but I feel as though there is a lot more monitoring/management in a good centre.
    Just FYI, FDC is held to the same level of accountability as LDC. In fact there is even more monitoring because it is in a home environment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Just FYI, FDC is held to the same level of accountability as LDC. In fact there is even more monitoring because it is in a home environment.
    How do they monitor them when they are on their own with the kids? I know there are strict controls, but it doesn't change the fact that there is just one person there. As I said, I personally wouldn't leave my kids with anyone other than my mum completely unsupervised. There is always more than one carer in a centre/room and a director that overseas work on a daily basis. I feel more comfortable with that set up personally...I can see why others would choose fdc...I just wouldn't.