+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you checked with your airline? They may not be willing for you to fly that late on in your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling overseas while pregnant.

Hi there, I just got off the plane from koh Samui this morning and I'm 19 weeks today. The trip is horrendous! My back, legs, well every part of me is sore! Not to mention its very hot there all the time. So it wouldn't be great for swelling feet. We only did this trip as sil got married in Europe and we stopped in Thailand to break the trip up for me.

I'd think about this very carefully. It is very hard to find food you are comfortable with to eat whilst pregnant there and our last day we went to the supermarket to keep cool while waiting between checkout and flight time. Now I'm extra concerned that even though I ate from reputable places, the main supermarket isn't that hygienic itself. So was the fresh produce great in the first place?

Don't get me wrong I love koh Samui and got married there myself but I'd think twice about going when pregnant. If I were to make the choice again I probably wouldn't have gone. And in saying that we mainly sat by the pool under umbrellas as it was too hot to walk around!

Best wishes for your pregnancy, I need another holiday after that flight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can get insurance but they wont cover anything to do with the pregnancy. Am thinking I shouldn't go now. I hope my friends aren't angry with me and will understand...

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    id be worried about the airline and flights tbh. Ive spent a month in a thai hospital (near koh samui in fact) and it was first class. the food was better than here too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (17-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    they will understand, just tell them you can't get insurance etc. If the baby did come early and you werent insured you would be up for a small fortune, especially from the special care requirements for the baby.

i am sure you will feel less worried if you dont go, and ultimately your friends would want that for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph83 View Post
    I can get insurance but they wont cover anything to do with the pregnancy. Am thinking I shouldn't go now. I hope my friends aren't angry with me and will understand...
    If they are good enough friends for you to be going all that way for their wedding then they are good enough friends to understand completely. They might be dissapointed - but they shouldnt be angry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we travel to thailand every year and i've only gotten sick once. and it was totally my own fault (eating raw prawn heads from a hotel - should have know better) but the hospital at surat thani was excellent, well spoken english and a day's stay cost me about $40.
    i love thailand, i personally think you have more chance of getting sick eating at a food hall here since most of the food over there is fresh. but 34 weeks i would probably consider it yet have my doubts. koh samui is one of the few places i haven't been in thailand but i know that the humidity, swelling feet, etc. would be quite annoying. i refused to go when i was pregnant last year because i knew i wouldn't be able to eat 'freely' with all the street food and it would just depress me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Imagine going in to labour on the plane!! That alone will probably be enough to put you off? I agree, your friends may be disappointed but almost certanly will understand!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Have you checked if the airline will allow travel?? Most airlines require a medical certificate after about 30 weeks and your doctor or midwife might not feel comfortable providing one if the trip is solely for leisure. After 36 weeks they pretty much say no, except for select scenarios (so if you're going for 2 weeks, you will need a very specific letter for the flight home as you will be 36 weeks).

I am a huge travel advocate, I love it and I implore people to travel with kids and while pregnant etc...BUT I don't think I would personally travel at that gestation. I had my babies early so I would deem it too risky. The language barrier during labour (if you went into early labour) would concern me if I was unable to make it to an English speaking hospital, not to mention the ensuing stress with working out paperwork etc for your babes birth. I would also be concerned about giving birth on the plane, mostly because it would be uncomfortable and not the ideal birthing environment. Also, of you gave birth early, you would likely be required to stay in Thailand until baby is well enough to travel.

I have travelled to Thailand quite a few times and have utilised parts of their medical system...it is quite a good one. Not sure if I would want to give birth there though...I prefer to be in my own birthing environment. I do get sick each time though...I eat their beautiful fresh, local food, but I have a very sensitive tummy which is prone to attracting gastroenteritis

I definitely wouldn't go without travel insurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I wouldn't. There are far too many risks.

Will the airline even allow you to travel?

Good luck.