+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling overseas while pregnant.

Hi Everyone, I have been planning to go to a good friends wedding in koh sumui for several months now and we have just found out I'm pregnant. I will be 34 weeks when we are supposed to be there. I have tried contacting insurance agencies and have been told there is no possible way they will ensure me after 30 weeks. I have contacted the hospital to see what sort of fees I may end up having to pay if i did happen to go into labour or have any complications, still waiting for them to get back to me. I still have a few other concerns. Will I be at greater risk of going into labour or having any other problems because of the flight? Is there a higher risk of Listeria infection in Thailand? What will happen if the baby is born there, will it be a Thai citizen? will I be permitted to take the baby home without any troubles? I know the chances are slim that I will go into labour but I want to be completely prepared and if it's too risky I will just have to cancel our trip. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also planning a holiday to america when i found out i was pregnant, i have had to postpone. Im not sure what the medical system is like in Thailand, but i spent 3 nights in hospital in america 4 years ago which cost $28,000, so the risk for me was to great. My OB says theres a greater risk of clotting as you are sittingh for long periods of time. I also figured that whilst everything was going well in my pregnancy now, it may not be the case later when we were due to go, so for me it was just better to postpone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't know how great the medical facilities would be on koh samui. The child wouldn't be a Thai citizen, but there would be a lot of paperwork to get them an Aussie passport before you could go.
    Is it your first pregnancy? Are you high risk for any reason? I would still potentially go, but that's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No 4th pregnancy I have had a previous C-section followed by a VBAC so I suppose I am at risk of uterine rupture. All my pregnancies were normal and healthy and went to term. The minimum fee for a C-section birth with no other complications in the hospital closest to the hotel is equal to $1500 AUD. apparently their facilities are world class, and friends hae clamied cleaner than any Australian hospital they have visited. I'm kind of thinking I should take the risk...but not sure if I know all the risks...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

No way in hell I'd go overseas that far along let alone to Thailand.

34 weeks is pretty far along. Just 4 weeks off full term.. Many women go into labor then.

If you do go into labor what a headache: explaining your medical history, bub going in NICU, getting a passport for bub. Add to that communication issues and well despite the good stories from friends you're trusting your life to someone in a country you don't know what the medical regulations are like.

Not worth the risk IMO.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-08-2012 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm sure the medical facilities will be great - my uncle lives in Thailand and apparently the hospitals are very good.

That said, I wouldn't do it. I doubt you'll enjoy the flight, will be worrying about the food and constantly worried you'll go into labour. Plus no travel insurance.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No way in hell I'd go overseas that far along let alone to Thailand.

34 weeks is pretty far along. Just 4 weeks off full term.. Many women go into labor then.

If you do go into labor what a headache: explaining your medical history, bub going in NICU, getting a passport for bub. Add to that communication issues and well despite the good stories from friends you're trusting your life to someone in a country you don't know what the medical regulations are like.

Not worth the risk IMO.
    No way I'd do it either. Plus you are only concentrating on the issues if you have the baby there. I think you can't fly international from 36 weeks (not positive on that though) so what if you got delayed past that date? You'd be stuck there til after bub was born AND then have to worry about all the birthing issues too..
    As well as no insurance.. Even if the Caesarian cost is quite low, what about NICU for at least long enough for bub to be able to fly home (if there are no issues preventing bub from being discharged, ie. needing oxygen).. At 34 weeks you'd be looking at 2 weeks at least in SCN.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    you will have to watch out for measles as well - the latest outbreak in sydney has come from thailand. If you are protected you should be ok - but be aware.

it is also quite common to get sick from food or water in other countries because your body is not used to the bacteria - so you would need to be careful of issues with dehydration.

I would go and have a chat to your doc or obgyn

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go either.

We cancelled flights when I was supposed to be 30 weeks, and returning at 32 weeks. No way we could get ANY sort of travel insurance. We holidayed interstate instead, and I'm glad, cause I ended up with a chest infection and needed antibiotics that I'd have had a hard time getting overseas.

I ended up delivering at 37 weeks, early and totally by surprise, without complication. I definately wouldn't chance it again, and definately not after 30 weeks.

So many reasons why they don't insure pregnancy. I know it might be upsetting or annoying to miss your trip - but your baby's health (and your own!) comes first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you cant get insurance I wouldnt be travelling. And more to the point - that close to due date - anything could happen. I had my DS at 34 weeks.