+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you toilet train your toddler?

Another thread got me thinking; how do you toilet train your toddler?

DS is 18 months old and I haven't even thought about TT because I feel he's just not ready. He doesn't tell me when he wee or poops, I don't even know when he wees, I know when he poops because it's the same time everyday and he would squat. My mom is surprised that I haven't started TT yet.

What are the 'ready to be TT' signs for your toddler? And how did you toilet trained your toddler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No pants in the summer...by the end of summer she was TT, she was just shy of 2 yo.
    We'll be doin g the same with DS when it warms up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Just a suggestion but if your DS is squatting the same time everyday for a poo try putting him on the toilet or a potty. That is sometimes all it takes and you might be surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

He was basically TT within one day using the 3 Day Potty Training method, at 25 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

DS wanted to do it. He hated poos in his nappy so started with that every time on the toilet from just before he was 2. He would get really upset if he didn't get there in time.

Wees were a bit off and on but always before we put him in the bath. Also random times throughout the day he would ask.

He got into more of a routine and then practically begged me for undies like daddy so he could be a big boy when he was 2 and 3 months.

I took him shopping for some figuring I could deal with some clean ups, instead he just kept going to the toilet. The next day he wanted to sleep in them overnight which I was wary of but his nappy overnight had been dry so I tried it and he has been wearing undies for the past 7 months night and day. I can count on one hand the amount of accidents he has had.

I think I could have done it earlier because we didn't change anything, he was just interested to do it.

I think you should talk about it. Maybe get their toys to go to the toilet and make it normal. Rewards for going and be really excited. The first times DS did I made sure that we either called DP or told him when he got home so DS knew it was a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Loosely followed the 3 day TT method. Complete cold turkey on the nappies. They were day and night trained before 2. I didn't look for 'ready signs' we just did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried cold turkey with night time nappies but he just kept wetting the bed. Any tips anybody?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS was TT at 2 and we have just TT'd DD. With both of them I just put them in nappies and said ok now we are using the toiler. In the beginning I would put them on the toilet every half hour and make a big deal about them doing a wee. DS took pretty well to doign poo's on the toilet. DD however is still a bit scared but atleast not having accidents anymore. During TT I don't leave the house for a week or two if I don't have to (unless we are visiting family or friends at their house where we can get to a toilte quick). I too did not use night nappies or nappies for sleep time. I simply put them on the toilet before they go to bed and if needed wake the through the night. DS was fantastic he only wet the bed twice.. DD has had a few more accidents than that so I have been putting her on the toilet at 10 or 11 at night when I go to bed. We are just over a week into training and currently 3 days without any accidents at all I love living a nappy free life

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have to train DS, he was just ready at around 2. He had been doing the occasional wee or poo on the potty, and he told me everytime he was about to do a wee or poo so when the weather was warm enough he spent the whole day at home without any pants on and the potty always nearby. I made a point of asking every 20 mins or so if he needed to use the potty.

If we went out he wore a pullup and I would take him to the toilet for a wee before we left, when we got there, while we were there and before we left to go home. There was never an accident while out.

While at home he did the occasional wee on the floor when he was distracted but all up I would say he was fully toilet trained in 2-3 days.

It was easy for both of us because he was ready.

He is 3 in two weeks and nowhere near ready for night time toilet training. He still has a full nappy in the morning so I'm just waiting until that is a little drier before we attempt it. DS2 is due in Dec so I might start putting DS1 into night time pullups then & take him to the toilet in the night since I'll be awake with the baby anyway, but we'll see. No rush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is currently TT, he goes on the toilet for 10 minutes every morning, if he wees we make a big deal about it and he gets very excited.

If we see him squatting in his nappy and grunting we pop him on the toilet to poo and make a big deal out of that too.