+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What do you do to protect your children...warning, trigger topic

Subbing as I'll need ideas for DS, he's nearly 2 so I'll start sooner than later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I already worry about this a lot. Like lie in bed at night worrying about it. I know how high the stats are and some news stories I read haunt me for days and days. He is only 18 months so I can't do anything at the moment to teach him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am so petrified of this happening too.

I would probably talk to my DD5 a couple of times a year about it. We are also strictly no sleep overs except with one sister who is single. I feel bad to my and DH's other family members, but what keeps ringing in my head is that it's always someone you trust and wouldn't expect and it's usually a family member or close family friend. For the life of me I couldn't imagine anyone I know being able to do something beyond fuc%#ng hideous, but sadly people do.

I am scared that I'm also going to restrict my kids too much in life, but right now, I'm just not prepared to take any risk!

My heart breaks for anyone who has experienced this, all I can offer is loads of

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    After going the courts with a member of our extended family (he got off because of this), it is really important that kids know the real names of their body parts.

I have open honest discussion about sex with my kids.

I talk them about there is nothing they cant tell me. I go in to great depths with this. I teach them about good and bad touch.

I never leave them with people i don't know really well.

I teach them it is ok to bite, hit scream etc if someone touches them in a bad way.

I have a password set up if I can't pick them up and Anyone other than Nana comes. We have used it when a teacher needed to bring her back to school after a excursion that i was going to pick her up from.

I taught them about never helping someone with lost puppies/groceries/give directions/get lollies without coming getting me first.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 17-08-2012 at 13:54. Reason: add

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (19-08-2012),MissMuppet  (17-08-2012)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews

I know I lose the ability to control situations like school etc ( I cant be there 24/7 obviously ) but the things I can control , well my kids won't be having slept overs with anyone besides my dad or sister full stop. Me and DH are both in agreeance on this.

They will never be babysat by anyone but them. That includes my sister only ever babysitting on her own , never with a boyfriend or friend .

I mean even then they aren't 100% protected . There are parties , visits to friends houses etc as they get older . I'll take all of that as it comes as they older . I can only control so much, and all it takes is one moment out of your control for a predator to seize an opportunity. I will do anything in my power to ensure that hopefully never ever happens .

Once they are old enough I will also educate them on everything everyone has said in here about their bodies being private etc .

My cousin was molested by my aunties boyfriend . It traumatised everyone . My dad ( and mum before she passed away ) were merciless when it came to this stuff and I thank them for that . We may have thought they were ridiculously strict at the time but as a parent I now understand .

And to be honest I don't care who I offend along the way . I don't care how immediate or close the friend or family member is . I am terribly paranoid and trust no one except the three nearest and dearest to me that I trust implicitly , my husband , father and sister .

And for anyone thinking that husbands fathers and sisters aren't immune to being sexual predators I absolutely agree . I don't trust them because of their " titles " so to speak and therefore think oh they are " safe " people because they are immediate family . No no . I trust THEM .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have a password too. And I've we've also role played the lost puppy/lollipop situation, and she knows she has to check with us first.

With regards to the comments about being nervous about males, only leaving kids with other women - I don't want to make anyone's anxiety worse, but please don't slip into thinking its a male issue only. There was an incident at the kindy DD went to, and the person involved was a female carer. That is not the only incident I know of first hand involving women either. I'm hesitant to mention it because I don't want to make people scared of everyone, but I think its important to be reminded that females can be predators too.

(And I really hope I don't offend anyone - its just that incident at the kindy really hammered that home to me.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone know where I an get a copy of Everybody's got a bottom? I tried book depostry (???) UK site but they dont have any. And its not showing up in search engines

I try my hardest to talk to my boys about it. My 4 year old tells me he hates being naked (undressing for shower) but maybe he just wants more privacy from his nudey bumed brother....

Its hard to work out the right things to say

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks SmileyGirl and Miss Muppet. Have just looked up Everybody's Got a Bottom and will get it as DD1 is nearly 2 and now is a good time to start.

We also use proper names for bits and are starting to talk about not touching other people's bits (she is fascinated by DD2's in the bath!) but it's early days yet.

Re sleepovers, this is not something I had really thought about as our girls are way too young except maybe an occasional night with grandparents for DD1. Is there an age at which the recommendations say it is ok or less likely to be risky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also sorry, whats the password thing?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Anyone know where I an get a copy of Everybody's got a bottom? I tried book depostry (???) UK site but they dont have any. And its not showing up in search engines

I try my hardest to talk to my boys about it. My 4 year old tells me he hates being naked (undressing for shower) but maybe he just wants more privacy from his nudey bumed brother....

Its hard to work out the right things to say
    http://www.fpq.com.au/pdf/Bottoms_Order_form.pdf

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrysanthemum For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (17-08-2012),lovesushi  (17-08-2012),MissMuppet  (17-08-2012)