+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfed 4 month old is unsettled?

My 4 month old has been unsettled for nearly a week now - would love your thoughts on what it is:
    *growth spurt/wonder week
    *hunger/low supply (me)
    *sleep cycle is out of whack
    *teething

His symptoms are waking nightly nearly every hour, unsettled, crying etc. He does not drink much at all (only if roused again) and falls back to sleep. Previous to this we had a week of 5-6 hours of sleep through the night. He seems to be sleeping very lightly and stirs easily and then the whole settling process needs to be started again. He is drooling lots, hands in mouth.

Any help appreciated..I am so exhausted!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Sounds like teething

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks, yes it is so hard for me to work out when living in a blur lol! I originally thought teething, my babies are early teethers but my CHN suggested my supply based on the info I gave her.
    His average weight gain was 2months old - 500grams per week, 3 months old - 250 grams per week & last two weeks he has averaged 115 grams per week. He is now 4 months old and is EBF. CHN suggested because of my low supply history (because of transferring issues) and the change in weight gain that I should start back up on motillium.
    I am already paranoid about my supply dropping and lost ALOT of confidence at the beginning but TBH I would have first assumed a growth spurt or teething??

Thanks
    Reviews

Still having plenty of wet nappies? It's normal for rate of weight gain to slow right down now so I wouldn't take this as a sign of low supply.

My bub went through a funny phase at four months which lasted two weeks - more frequent waking (previously good sleeper), cranky, feeding more often etc. My Wonder Week app had a huge storm cloud over this period so I figure that it was just that.

He's a massive drooler too, and everything in the mouth. But no toothy pegs yet!

Hope your bub settles soon too!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmmm Im not sure of this - I will have to keep track of this for the next 24 hours. How many wet nappies?
    He has had 2 poo nappies today..is that a good sign too?
    Wow a big cloud?! Do you have the app or book?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by SugarplumMummy View Post
    Thanks, yes it is so hard for me to work out when living in a blur lol! I originally thought teething, my babies are early teethers but my CHN suggested my supply based on the info I gave her.
    His average weight gain was 2months old - 500grams per week, 3 months old - 250 grams per week & last two weeks he has averaged 115 grams per week. He is now 4 months old and is EBF. CHN suggested because of my low supply history (because of transferring issues) and the change in weight gain that I should start back up on motillium.
    I am already paranoid about my supply dropping and lost ALOT of confidence at the beginning but TBH I would have first assumed a growth spurt or teething??
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain-metric/

Weight gain sounds fine to me

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks I have looked at this already, thats why I was surprised when she immediately assumed low supply?!
    Seriously any tips on how to boost my confidence as well would be much appreciated..I guess everytime low supply/hunger is suggested (CHN or well meaning family) I begin to doubt myself and Im sure this alone could affect my supply!

Thanks
    Reviews

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job. I know it's normal to second guess yourself, but from what you've said, I think your supply is probably fine. Wet nappies - 5-6 per day, I think.

And yep I've got the Wonder Weeks iPhone app. Only a few dollars and have found it pretty accurate for my bub.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh thankyou for your kind words. I sometimes find it difficult as my family mostly FF and find it hard to identify with my journey. My family is always planting the seeds that maybe bub is hungry, my milk may not have the nutrients, am I going to give up BF when bub is teething blah blah blah..now thats to me, what do they say behind my back?
    I dont really have strong BF role models.
    Anyways goodnight Im exhausted!

Thanks
    Reviews

Btw I just downloaded the app