+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The smaller school I think is a really good point. I would also be asking what the 'gifted and talented' program looks like - I think this can sometimes be used as a selling point for schools but - what does it really mean at a particular school?
    Any school worth it's weight should be providing personalised learning for all children not just a program for gifted and talented.
    Play based learning is super important especially in the early years - don't let the title put you off.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

fludo  (18-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to choose a school?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yeah, I don't consider that play based learning. You don't learn anything if you're not being introduced to new things.

If you want to see REAL play based learning, check out Steiner early childhood theories and methods.
    I agree that children doing what they want to do...without any structure...is not really play based learning. I love the idea that a teacher will have many invitations for children to learn and challenge them in new areas. Of course it is a Great idea to base it on what a child is interested in and you need to be able to see that teachers are creative in incorporating content into a child's current interests. You need to remember that kids, especially boys, will go through phases here hey are completely engrossed in one topic (eg dinosaurs) but they will naturally move to note when they are done. It is important to get all the 'boring' skills and knowledge integrated into these areas of interest to maximize engagement and retention.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

fludo  (18-08-2012)