+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's good to hear things are going well. It's good once they start getting the hang of everything too. They interact with you a lot more. Wait for the days when all they do is smile. It's priceless.

That's strange they wouldn't do her shots? They recommend they get done at 6 weeks now. Elly had hers when she was 7 weeks.

I have also been wondering when we should go back for #2. Hubby is a lot older than me too so I can't leave it too long lol. But I wider whether its better to wait longer or get all the hard baby/toddler stuff over in one go. Do you reckon you could handle it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow....I'm suprised they wouldn't give Sophie her shots yet either!! 8 week immunisations are supposed to be (from what I understand from my mum - who is a practice nurse at a GP) "around" the 8 week mark - ie can be done as early as 6 weeks (definitely no earlier than that!).... so needing to be "exactly 2 calendar months" and refusing to do them on that basis seems very odd indeed. Oh well..!

Piper is 7 weeks today, and I am planning on taking her tomorrow to get done...

Gemini - I know what you mean about the smiles......Piper started smiling in the last few days and I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to have that little face beaming up at you....she's even started vocalising when she smiles....just a little bit, but its soooo cute. I love it.

As far as the old "how big a gap between siblings" - that's a tricky one!!! I had this discussion with some girlfriends recently, and we definitely agreed that shorter gaps (ie less than 2 years...say 16-18 months etc) is good if you are totally devoted to the SAHM life and raising babies!!

The only caution is that one of the girls (who has a 16 month gap) said she felt like she missed out on part of her eldest's "babyhood" because she was so busy with her newborn again - as they really still are babies with a tonne of development in the second year...

So that's just a thought.... and also, the bigger the age gap, the more helpful the elder sibling is with the newer sibling. Oh, and she says that it can be way more expensive, because instead of "handing down" the cot, high chair, etc etc, you find you need extras of all those things again because they're both using them at the same time....

But having said that, bigger age gaps have their own issues as well....for one, the longer #1 is used to being the "only" one, the harder they can find it to cope with sharing attention (and become more prone to tantrums and attention-seeking behaviour...) The girl who has the 16 month age gap said that because her eldest was virtually growing up with the younger, it was like they'd never known it any other way than with #2.

And of course there is also the whole getting the nappies and night-waking etc over in a short amount of time.

Who knows really???

We have a 23 month age gap between #1 and #2, which is good for us. If (and that's a BIG IF!!!) there's a #3, I think we would definitely aim for between 2-3 years again. It works for us - but at the end of the day, each to their own!!!

Hope you are all well xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add - AFM, well, life with 2 kiddlies is full-on but fantastic. My sister warned me that 2 kids DOES NOT equal 2x the work.....it's more like 5x the work!!! And she wasn't kidding....

I am having so much trouble trying to help and/or discipline DS when I am feeding - which is when DS seems to want/demand attention. He tends to do "forbidden things" (ie throwing his toys, pulling his books out of the bookcase, etc) when I am feeding Piper and as such, I feel like I am trying to chase him around the house with her hanging off my boob at the same time.... it is mega frustrating!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha i so have images in my head of you running around after a kid with a little one literally just hanging off your boob. I needed that laugh xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thinking that we may start the IVF process again in February when Sophie is 6 months old because we only plan on having 2 and would be nice to have them grow up together and to get all the baby stuff out of the way at the same time. My husband is 6 years older than me so he wants to still be in his 30's when we have our children. That only gives us 3 more years so I think sooner rather than later is best.

Sophie is giving me huge gummy smiles all the time which is so cute. It's lovely to wake up to big smiles from her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Took Sophie for her injections this morning and we all cried! She was smiling and so happy and unaware of what was going to happen to her then she was given the liquid to take orally which she didn't seem to mind too much. After that she was given 2 injections with one in each thigh. She screamed as soon as it went in and broke my heart. Poor little thing. She stopped crying once I picked her up but by then me and my mum were both crying!

She seems fine after the trauma of it all and has been sleeping for about 4 hrs so must be drowsy. I keep checking her chest to check she's breathing and to check her temperature is ok. She drank a bottle of expressed breast milk straight after the injections so hasn't affected her appetite!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so sad isn't it. They are completely oblivious to what's about to happen to them. Elly slept a lot the day she had hers too. And I kept checking her too haha. She only got a slight temperature that night which one dose of Panadol fixed.

Hope she is doing ok. And I hope you are feeling better mummy. Don't feel too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well Sophie got a temp of 38.7 last night following her jabs. I was so worried but once she'd had baby Panadol and been stripped off she was fine. She slept all day yesterday but was up every hour last night. Changed her nappy about 12 times during the night! She's happy and smiley again this morning so hopefully we're through the worst of it. Her temp is back down to 36.5 now and she feels a lot better.

Daddy is taking her next time!! Non negotiable!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey can I ask you ladies what your bubs sleeping patterns are like? Both naps and night time sleeps? I'm curious to see if Elly gets enough sleep or whether i should be trying something different?

At the moment she usually cluster feeds from 8-10pm, then sleeps til about 3 or 4, wakes up for a feed, then back to sleep til about 7. Then she usually feeds every two hours, an only stays awake for about an hour or so before her next sleep. She has about 3 40 minute naps and one big sleep of about 3 hours. Does this sound about right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sophie is normally up by 6am when I feed her and she will have another 2 and a half hours until 8:30am. She will then feed again and goes back to sleep about 10:30-11am for about 40 mins and then she's up and down all day. She doesn't sleep properly unless I take her out in the pram and then she'll sleep for a couple of hours.

Bath time is 5:30-6pm then another feed and she will sometimes sleep until about 9pm and won't go back to sleep until 10:30pm. She then sleeps for 5-6 hours, wakes up at approx 4am then sleeps until 6am. That is an average day but changes frequently depending on how she's feeling. I don't feed her at set times, she will pretty much feed on and off throughout the day. If she's hungry she'll guzzle down whatever I give her, otherwise she'll fuss on the boob and just keep spitting out my nip.