+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF babies due July, August, September 2012 #2

How old is Sophie now? I had heaps of problems with breastfeeding in the first couple of weeks once we got home. She just wouldn't attach properly and the more I got frustrated the worse she would get. I was in tears one night almost having a break down. Went and borrowed a pump and expressed some for her. Then once she had settled down a bit I tried her on the boob again. Helped a little bit. The stronger they get the better they are at feeding. Elly hates the bottle now but still has her fussy moments at the boob.

As hard as it is at the time, just try to relax. Hand her to hubby while you calm down then try again. Hang in there. It's worth it once they get better at it xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi Mummas!
    Gosh, I haven't been on here in so long - and it's because of the reasons that you have all written about!! These small little bubs sure do take up a lot of time hey??!!
    My Maggie is 2 months old tomorrow and while i just am totally loving mumma hood it is also the hardest thing I have ever done (and I am only 9 weeks in!!). I have to say, Maggie is generally a happy bub, and when she's in the mood provides me with a stack of smiles :-) But she has just started this whole 'witching hour' thing! Ggrrrrrr!! I don't have much of a routine during the day (night time is all good so far). I would love to get into a routine during the day, but I have a big obstacle. Every second week my step children are with us, which means school runs. I leave home at 8am and get home at 9.10am. In the afternoon I leave home at 2.30pm and get home at 3.45pm. I want to have the same routine for both weeks. Any thoughts on what I should do?? At the moment I bath/feed etc and then down to bed about 6.00pm. She's up about midnight and then anywhere between 4 and 6. If 4 I put her back down for a bit.
    I am also havin problems bfeeding. My supply has been CRAP, am on motilium and fenugreek and still having to top up. She also fusses a lot at the breast. I'm hanging for the day when we can just sit and have nice peaceful feeds :-)
    Anyway mummas, I hope you are all having a good weekend! And thanks for posting your stories - its so comforting to read that motherhood is challenging to not just me :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Klong I got a lactation consultant to come to my house when Poppy was a week because I was having troubles. It was the best $180 I have ever spent. Are you in Brisbane? I used Julie Bullard and she was great. She is also the baby nurse at one of the chemists in Coorparoo.

Poppy became a nightmare at 4 weeks. I thought she was so easy in the beginning and then we had days where she would not take a nap at all and had to be held all day long. She would scream for hours at night because she was over tired. It was hell! Now she is 8 weeks and we have good and bad days but I can now identify her sleep cues. I was told by a midwife that they will settle by week 12.

I am so sorry you have had it tough. It is so frustrating and stressful when they get over tired plus the stress of breast feeding. I hope you get it sorted and if you would like Julie's number just let me know.

I hope everyone is doing well! Sorry I have been MIA but I still read all your posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Klong - my mothers group always swore by brewers yeast to boost milk supply - or a giant pint of stout beer - ie has brewers yeast in it already....(look it up, I'm not kidding...). Supposed to be really good for low supply...??

If it helps everyone, i had a midwife tell me with DS that the first 12 weeks are the hardest - after that, most things tend to click into place. And then again around 6 months. And it was totally true.... just hang in there, things DO get better, I promise!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your reassurances ladies. I can report that Sophie has been a little angel today after her Friday dramas!

My problems with beast feeding in the beginning were my sore, cracked nipples and her not latching on properly. I soon got the hang of the latching on and we were great but now she has got really fussy but only some of the time. She will quite happily latch on first attempt sometimes but then other times she will scream holy hell and will suck furiously for a few sucks then let go and scream until she's red in the face. I try winding her and settling her before trying again but once she's screamed that's it she will not take it. She will happily take a bottle of expressed breast milk when she's like that but not the boob. I have started always having some expressed milk in the fridge just in case of emergencies but I hate expressing. It's so boring, time consuming and messy but hey if it means she gets a good feed then I'm happy. I thought it might be because my milk doesn't let down quick enough but it comes out like a bloody fountain so there is no problems with production levels. At times I feel like I could feed the whole street!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    salgan - I am in Perth but may try a lactation consultant in the area. I have the number for one so might give her a try to see if we can get this sorted once and for all. Glad it worked for you, it makes life so much easier doesn't it when they feed well.

kseds - A pint of stout or anything alcoholic sounds good to me!! It's been too long!!

missbloggsy - Don't worry you're not the only one finding it a challenge, I am with you on that one! Sounds like you have a lot to deal with on top of the bubba though so hope you can work out a good routine.

gemini85 - Sophie is 5 weeks on Monday so I'm hoping these little issues will sort themselves out once we get to know each other a bit better. It's reassuring to hear it does get easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Klong have you tried infacol? She might have a little bit of wind that you can't get up. Also Poppy sleeps on a wedge so she is elevated as she used to grunt for hours during the night because of wind. She now sleeps peacefully for 8-9 hours during the night.

Week 5 was the hardest for me. I am glad you had a better day yesterday.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Salgan For This Useful Post:

klong  (09-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all been a bit of a blur but Molly was a month old yesterday and it has been a huge learning curve - as I'm sure you're all finding. I can't say we've established any sort of pattern but last night she slept 10pm - 8am with only one 45 min wake period for feeding / changing. The night before she slept 10-6:30 with no wake up. So, I'm hoping this continues. However, before that there were a couple of little sleep nights but I have found that if she has done a poo that day she sleeps better. At the start we had at least one poo-y nappy a day, at the moment, it's at least 48hrs between motions and she can get cranky towards the end (don't we all!)

I started using Infacol for wind and that helped with some wind issues we were having.

As for feeding, my intention was to BF. However, it was a struggle from the start and while I wanted to persist it was the midwives and then the visiting lactation consultant that advised it wasn't going to be successful. Molly became distressed at latching on when we tried in the hospital so i expressed the colostrum. It was then I started expressing and would syringe / cup feed her. Unfortunately, she was up to drinking 60mls at a time and i would be lucky to produce 1ml (from both breast combined). I went to formula feeding in the hospital when she had lost more than 10% of her body weight in just 2 days.

I persisted with expressing and added it to the formula for the first 3 weeks (up to 7.5ml at a time). Unfortunately, at the 3 week mark I had no milk at all coming from the left side and the right side diminished. Molly is thriving and is a happy, content baby and I was the one distressed over the BF so I stopped expressing all together.

It was a lot to come to terms with. Having a child is supposed to be a natural thing and for her to be an IVF baby, then having to have a caesarean due to complications, then not being able to breastfeed it felt (and still feel to a certain extent) anything but natural and I felt guilty / disappointed / sad. But then I look into the beautiful face of my baby and know she is a pure miracle and I am incredibly blessed to have her here (however it came about).

While I may not get a chance to post in here often, I do read the daily digest and am very glad to hear about your experiences with your miracles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    41hope - You sound like you're doing a great job and Molly sounds like a happy little bubba so I hope it all continues to go well for you both. I think we all feel guilty at times that we're not doing things right but my mum told me feeling guilty comes with the job of being a parent no matter what you do! She said she still feels it now at times and I'm her 31 year old baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

41hope - I know how you feel hun. I was really upset that I needed a c section only cause I was really looking forward to doing it naturally. Especially after ivf, I wanted something less "clinical". But in the end, it saved my daughters life and that's all that matters.

I had problems with feeding at the start, still do sometimes, so that was added disappointment too. But I think like you said, once you see their happy little faces, you don't worry so much.

But like klong said, we're gonna worry for the rest of our lives. That's what mums do hey. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Elly is starting to smile more now, although daddy seems to be getting most of them haha.