+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Kseds - Glad to report that my nips are back to good working order now!! No trouble at all but it was touch and go there for a short while. Hope yours toughen up soon too. I'm so glad I persevered with it because I was so ready to just give in. Happy to say Sophie is now putting on weight and feeding perfectly.

missbloggsy - I was born with a hole and a heart murmur too and it healed up all by itself when I was 6 years old. It didn't really affect me in any bad way as I was growing up. Had to go to hospital every year for check ups but apart from that it went unnoticed. Went into hospital around my 6th birthday and they told me it had disappeared and I didn't have to go back anymore so don't worry too much. I'm 31 now so the hospitals are much better nowadays. Maggie will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF babies due July, August, September 2012 #2

How's everyone going???

Elly has gained a little bit over half a kilo now and she's 4 weeks tomorrow. So I'm glad the little one is starting
    To fatten up haha.

She's still a bugger with latching on properly though. I end up with lipstick nipples. I think my nipples are too big for her mouth cause I just can't seem
    To shove any more of my boob in there haha. Any suggestions mummies??

And she feeds all the time haha. Like every hour during the day. Little piggy she is haha. I'm so loving being a mother though. It's so much fun. I even enjoy waking up at night to feed!! Scares.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gemini85 - I hate the night time getting up!!! I love Sophie so much but wish she would let me sleep! She also made my nipples look like lipsticks at first but now I pull faces at her and she seems to copy me. I read online somewhere that if you open your mouth really wide then your baby will mimic what you're doing and that is when you should put your nipple in her mouth so she's getting as much as possible. It might just be a coincidence but she does seem to copy me. Breast feeding is so much harder than I ever thought it would be. I was planning to breast feed until Christmas but not sure how long I should keep going. How long were you planning to breast feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Gemini - totally know what you mean about 'lipstick nips' .... I'm particularly prone to them cos Piper is very much a 'comfort sucker' - so she goes to town on them sometimes before I even realise.... The other reason for her clamping on me is - I think - cos I have a large milk supply and a fast let-down - so she will chomp down to try to stop the flow being so much. I eventually worked our I could user breast pump to skim off the first few mls so it's not so full on for her.

Dont know if that applies for you at all, but anyway....

I am definitely handling the night feeds better/more easily this time around. I found it hugely difficult with DS, but later I came to appreciate the quiet time with him, how it's just so quiet and peaceful and still. There are no phone calls, no chores waiting to be done, no one else needing anything, nowhere to have to be on time....you can just relish the 1-on-1 time with bubs.

My issue with Piper atm is getting her to focus on feeding - she fusses about and stops/starts a lot...gives the signals that she's done, so I put the girls away and -wait, she's not done yet...

.... It took me an hour and a half to fully fees her this afternoon - time I just don't have with an-almost-2-year-old to deal with as well!!! Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey Gemini and Ksled.....

Lachlan was a comfort sucker and frequent feeder, he would of and still would stay on the boob forever if I'd let him. We had a lactose consultant come home when he was 3 weeks and she taught me the difference between active sucking and comfort sucking and when the comfort sucking starts pull him off, burp him and offer again so he starts to learn to be an active sucker. This has worked so well for us as now Lachlan is an efficient feeder who is done in 15mins now which is lovely especially at 5am. I have later found out that his comfort sucking was the sign of reflux as he was sucking to get rid of the acid taste and was crying because of pain not hungry.....

Good luck ladies and I'm glad ur girls are doing so well

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the tips ladies. Yeah breastfeeding is hard. I thought it would come a lot more naturally. I was planning to breastfeed
    For 12 months, so hopefully she gets better at it. She just doesn't open her mouth wide enough. And I've seen her yawn so I know she can open it wide.

What were the signs of reflux? I'm trying her on some infant gaviscon now cause she seems to be chucking a bit. She doesn't seem in pain, but makes me wonder why she feeds so frequently. I think it might just be to sooth her throat. Cause she doesn't woof it down every feed. It's more comfort like previously mentioned.

I just wish she'd be content for longer. Cause I don't know whether she's hungry or in pain or just unsettled.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the health clinic to weigh Sophie today and she is now past her birth weight at 3 weeks and 2 days. I spoke to the nurse about her throwing up after feeding and she said that as long as they are putting on at least 150g per week then they wouldn't be concerned. Sophie put on double that this week so it's put my mind at ease now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Gemini....my gp told me Lachlan couldn't be reflux because he was putting on weight and thriving, he was also so settled and sleeping 5 hours straight at night. However at the peadatricians six week check up he observed reflux behaviors some of the big ones were sticking tongue out to get rid of the taste of the acids, coughing, arching back and I noticed his tummy bubbling and his spew was thicker like mucusy. My niece was a happy chucked which at first was what I thought Lachlan was but my sister in law said that her spew was more milky.
    I hope this helps.... Lachlan was chucking at most feeds but some of that was me I found out later as some foods and drinks sensitive to him, so with medication and me he isn't spewing as much.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah that sounds a bit like Elly. She doesn't chuck as such, it's more just bringing up excess milk. It's never really thick. She coughs sometimes while feeding but that's usually when she is drinking really fast and when my arm gets tired and I accidentally tilt her lower haha.

Sometimes she arches her back after she has finished, but she usually goes straight to sleep.

But sometimes she is just so unsettled between feeds and always wants boob, makes me wonder if she is doing it to relieve her throat. But I tried that infant gaviscon stuff and she was crankier, and she did a bigger spew. So I dunno.

I just think half her problem with always wanting to feed is the attachment issue. No matter what I try she just can't fit it in her tiny little mouth. Can't wait til she gets bigger and stronger. She has put on 600 grams in 2 weeks though so I know she is getting enough milk. It's just at the expense of feeding hourly.

I wonder if any of her behavior could be linked to my dairy intake? I have a milk drink every day. Could that do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if that would affect her feeding but who knows. I have only noticed that Sophie is crankier when I eat spicy food so I have cut that out of my diet now so I don't unsettle her.

Maybe if you tried cutting it out for a few days and see if there's any change.

Sophie has been going crazy when I try and breast feed her sometimes. She has a little tantrum and sucks for 2 seconds then stops. She will literally scream the house down. Doesn't happen at every feed but at least once a day. I have checked her mouth to make sure she hasn't got any sores anywhere that would make it uncomfortable for her but all looks good to me.

She's putting on weight so not worried too much but just don't know why she does it. I think my boobs have gone a bit saggier since I started breast feeding because the position I used to put her in is not working now because my nipple keeps popping out of her mouth. I tried holding her lower and she was fine so think my boobs have just dropped