+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frustrated mother!

hi Bubhubbers

I am having issues with my 8 month old daughter (yes already!!) who just is not interested in solids or formula. She has a bottle 5 times a day and hardly ever finishes 150ml (not even close to a cup!) and don't get me started on solids!

I try to feed her breakfast an hour after the bottle and I do this for lunch and dinner as well. I love to cook so just like I did for her brother I puree her nutritious meals but she hardly opens her mouth. I have prepared finger food which she loves but I find the majority of the food either on the floor or in her high chair so I don't know how much is getting into her tummy.

What am I doing wrong? I am getting so frustrated and annoyed. she is a slight little thing (50 percentile in the weight chart) so it worries me not seeing her mouth wide open screaming to be fed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Frustrated mother!

Food under 1 is a fun thing.

If she is growing and meeting mile stones i would just not worry, continue to offer food but not stress about it

When born was she on the 50th percentile or has she dropped?
    Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Shoally  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Relax. 8 months is still pretty little. My ds wasn't that into solids at 8 months. He would only eat super thin purees until 10 or 11 months as he would choke otherwise. Nothing I prepared myself worked til that age. I was super frustrated. But, even with super thin purees I think he was having 1 meal a day maybe 5 days a week at 8 months, and 2 days he'd refuse outright or timing just didn't work.

My dd has been SO different. She has been very into her solids from just before 6 months. She loves finger food, chunky purees, etc and has from 7 months. But, despite this at 8 months I was struggling to get her to eat 2 meals. She's only really taken to breakfast in the last 6 weeks (so from around 9 months).

If she's tracking along on the same percentile, happy, developing normally and having plenty of wet nappies then I say relax. Talk to her M&CHN if you're concerned. Every baby is different, but I understand how it can be hard when they are VERY different.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Shoally  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't worry either. Maybe she's just not ready. I think DS was about 8 months before he was interested in food. If she's happy and healthy, just let her play with it. She will eat eventually!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Shoally  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for getting back to me. You are all right, i have to stop stressing about this. Deep breaths!!!

She is a very happy baby, sleeps well and is now crawling so I will concentrate on these positives.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Hi shoally !

You could be describing my two kids to a tee.

My son ( now 2.5) barely drank 100 mls per bottle and didn't even want a bar of solids till about 10 months . I actually stopped offering for a month or so as he clearly was just not ready and completely utterly uninterested .

My daughter ( now 1.5) only now at this age drinks 150 mls per bottle, never a drop over . She didn't want even a spoon of solids before 8 months but is now the best eater EVER.

It's nothing your doing wrong ! Xxoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

If she likes the finger foods let her have more of those (BLW style) she can feed herself what and how much she wants, let her eat with you and eat what you eat, don't stress about how much she gets, formula is still more important and if she is hungry she will eat! as pp have said 8 months is still young and she is just figuring it all out!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If she likes the finger foods let her have more of those (BLW style) she can feed herself what and how much she wants, let her eat with you and eat what you eat, don't stress about how much she gets, formula is still more important and if she is hungry she will eat! as pp have said 8 months is still young and she is just figuring it all out!
    Great advice! She won't starve herself and will eat when ready

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Frustrated mother!

My DD is the same I just offer small meals of finger foods 5 times a day because she seems to be more of a grazer than a big meal eater

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub