+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Am I the only person here who gets the fact that the 40 hour famine is to give us extremely privileged westerners a teeny tiny idea of what it must be like to literally starve?
    I think one can appreciate how lucky we are without starving themselves. I don't need to be in a particular situation to feel compassion or empathy, whether it be lack of food, hygiene or illness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

jez  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Should I put a stop to this

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Am I the only person here who gets the fact that the 40 hour famine is to give us extremely privileged westerners a teeny tiny idea of what it must be like to literally starve?
    I agree. I actually think it's a massive problem that we just don't realise how lucky we are.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (17-08-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From their own website:

If you do decide to take part in a 'no-food' challenge please follow our age guidelines:
    • 14+ years: don't go more than 40 hours without food (8pm Fri –12noon Sun);
    • 11-13 years: don't go no more than 20 hours without food (8pm Fri – 4pm Sat);
    • 8-10 years: don't go more than 20 hours without food (6pm Fri – 2pm Sat).
    • If you're under 8-years-old, unwell or have any health or dietary concerns, you mustn't do the no-food 40 Hour Famine – choose another challenge instead.

If anything were to happen to your daughter because of the famine, and you knew beforehand and during that she was ill you'd have absolutely NO recourse against them.

I'm sorry, but I HATE the 40hr famine. There's enough pressure on young people (girls especially) to be thin by not eating. A famine only promotes that behaviour as a good thing in my opinion and that is not the vibe we should be sending to our kids.
    I am far more for things like sponsored fun runs where the kids still get to eat as much as they need and promotes healthy activity. They still can send the money to World Vision if they want to.

But I think in a country where the problem is obesity rather than starvation we should be promoting healthy eating, not unhealthy eating even if it's for the benefit of others.
    The fact that kids want to help others is extremely admirable and we should definitely foster that. But there are healthier ways of doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

I don't personally think it promotes eating disorders. What actually bugs me these days is that most fundraisers give the children raising money a reward too. Like jumprope for heart, the kids get so many prizes!! What ever happened to helping someone else without needing something in return? I think it's crazy. Thats my rant, lol!
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 17-08-2012 at 08:04.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (17-08-2012),haveheart  (17-08-2012),pinkplease3  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Should I put a stop to this

I'd stop her. Honestly, yes it's supposed to show kids a little bit of appreciation for what we have here as opposed to third world countries...BUT there's a duty of care, if she's unwell or not coping with the full 40 hours get her to stop and pump her with vitamins and electrolyte drinks. She can start again if she wants to, minus the hours she's already done. When I was 12ish and did it the school only allowed 12 or 24hr famines.

Thanks
    Reviews

How is she going op?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    How is she going op?
    She was fine this morning, she finishes at 11am so no long to go.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StormAngel For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by StormAngel View Post
    Oh that's good news, glad she is ok. Well done to both of your dd's

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by StormAngel View Post
    That's great!!!

Good on them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

I think the 40 hr famine is great. I did it from yr 6 (I was 11) and every yr after that until I was 17.

I don't think it promotes being skinny or not eating. It promotes caring about people and developing an understanding of what it is like to be hungry.

It only goes for 40 hrs and you are allowed plenty of liquid and barley sugar.

I also did the winter sleepout at a young age and slept out in the rain with only a tarp and sleeping bag so I don't really see why we should cushion kids from the reality of what some people's life is like.

I'm glad your daughter is ok OP and even if she had of stopped because she was sick it is still a great effort and commendable that she took part in it

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (17-08-2012),Happy2be3  (17-08-2012),MsImpatient  (17-08-2012)