+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hurting herself and doing damage to her body will do nothing for the kids in third world countries.

Get her off the fast and donate to cover the loss from funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd research with her the average food a child in an effected area would receive in daily rations (sure there is info on one of the United nations site)...and see if she can have a little bit of rice, but no more than a child living in a camp would get.

Might make a happy compromise?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If i remember correctly it can be done with taking other things away for 40 hours. For example my 11year old daughter could go without the internet/gadgets for 40 hours.
    So is still sacrificing something but not missing out on food. Just an idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amira For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give that government Nurse line a call.

They should be able to offer some information.

Or perhaps have her stop, and recommence at a different time?

What a brave girl your daughter is! (both of them actually!!). However, how is she going to support the cause in the future if she does not take care of herself now?

Do whatever you feel is right..

I have always felt guilty about the 40 hour famine thing, cause in high school I was sent on a weekend camp to learn how to be a leader of the 40 hour famine thing.
    On the event weekend I ended up going to my first party and getting drunk for the first time... lol.. Oh dear... The things we do!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-08-2012),StormAngel  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I admire her for wanting to stick with it. She isn't going to damage her body from going a couple of days without food I think it give kids an awareness

HOwever, follow your instincts

Lol @ Miss Impatient!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (16-08-2012),StormAngel  (16-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    get her to add some cornstarch to her water as it is a long acting low GI sugar so it will keep her going a bit longer than barley sugars and its not cheating really xxx

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-08-2012),StormAngel  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I put a stop to this

Liquids + barley sugars, as the others have said. If she still feels sick then probably best to come off it especially as you said she was feeling a bit sick previously.

A bit of plain rice would probably be really good to settle her stomach too though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

StormAngel  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should I put a stop to this

If she was already getting sick prob best to get her to stop it and perhaps try another time.
    Talk to her sister so she understands she is not giving up just doing it another time when her body can handle it better

Thanks
    Reviews
    STOP her ASAP. get her to eat something!
    fasting for so long can affect yoru blood sugar etc... Or drinking a lot of fluid can cause SERIOUS health issues from fluid overload including seizures etc... it should say somewhere within the 40 hr info that if your not feelign well to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In all honesty, I don't think the 40 hour famine is at all a good idea physically. I get that it's for donations... blah blah... but you can still donate the same amount of money and still not starve yourself.

I've also heard there are other things you can give up... no phone, no internet, no music, no bed (still sleeping, just not in a bed). All probably much better for her...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (16-08-2012)