+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    They are Bosnian

Oh yesss Sarma is the best!!! I had just had lunch at home though so wasn't the slightest bit hungry. Even when I am hungry their portion sizes are insaaaaaane. I am still gob smacked at the amount my DP eats lol!!
    hahaaa, how funny, I'm bosnian too! Which state do you live in? we're in Bris. does your MIL make pita? Burek is the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stop feeding me please!

Yes it's def a culture thing, have you ever noticed they also fill the glass -water or soft drink or whatever else - nearly to the rim?! It's always more is best and then make sure there a little bit more just in case. You just have to politely decline or take a tiny little bit then go for seconds...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    our school friends used to all love coming over. seriously - my mum would even make the plumber/electrician/air conditioning guy , whoever is over fixing something, a meal to eat. hehe. she wouldn't even have to know them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Stop feeding me please!

My inlaws are Lebanese and same. Eat eat EAT! And if you refuse "are you sick?" "You no like it? I make you something else?" Or insist I'm not hungry and still get offered the exact same thing 6 times till df yelled at them in Arabic.

I got into the habit of saying "oh I'm sorry I just ate before we came" and cop "you silly girl!" But it kinda headed off the drama a bit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my inlaws do this too.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My grandma was Polish and ALWAYS made everyone eat when we visited. We only ever sat in the kitchen as this was the focul point of the house! In fact, the front door was never used by family, we all went in through a side gate that lead into the backyard and entered the house through the back door which lead straight into her kitchen; if anyone knocked on the front door we knew it was a stranger, lol.
    She always (no matter what time of day or whether she expected visitors) had a big pot of soup (Broscht, sour kraut, cluski) so ready to serve on the stove, along with endless amounts of food served on platters like cold cuts of meat, pickles, bread, potato salad etc.. not to mention the Polish foods like cabbage rolls Perogi (potato dumplings served with sour cream.. OMG yum!).. and home made donuts, ice cream, biscuits and lollies, jelly.. I honestly never once saw my nanna without her apron on! She was a typical European nanna in a head scarf, always stuffing us all full with food! I miss her so much.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 17-08-2012 at 00:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

I do this. Whoops.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    hahaaa, how funny, I'm bosnian too! Which state do you live in? we're in Bris. does your MIL make pita? Burek is the best.
    Ohh pita!!! Yum! Haha we are in Vic

It's great she is an amazing cook but I'm only a little person I can't eat that much lol I always feel so rude

Thanks
    Reviews

Eating before going there? That's your mistake. You should arrive half staved to death :-) I didn't know Bosnians had sarma too! But I guess the whole area has a mish mash of similar foods with slightly different pronunciation :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    They are Bosnian

Oh yesss Sarma is the best!!! I had just had lunch at home though so wasn't the slightest bit hungry. Even when I am hungry their portion sizes are insaaaaaane. I am still gob smacked at the amount my DP eats lol!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    Eating before going there? That's your mistake. You should arrive half staved to death :-) I didn't know Bosnians had sarma too! But I guess the whole area has a mish mash of similar foods with slightly different pronunciation :-)
    What's the origins of Sarma? Mil makes it with the mince meat, rice etc inside the cabbage and then the broth. Is that traditional? All I know is it's yum haha