+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Showing in first trimester-really? how??

When did people start showing with their third? I am reading stories of people showing in the first trimester but I just don't think that is physiologically possible is it? As when you 'show' it is because the top of the uterus has started to come up over the pelvic bone and as the fundus ( top of the uterus) can't be felt by medical staff until the 12 week mark it can't be possible to show until around then. No matter if it's your 1st or 10th pregnancy that won't change. I didn't show for DD until about 6 months and was in normal clothes until 8 months and DS about 5 months. This time round I know my muscle tone is non-existent so I am pretty sure as soon as that fundus comes over there will be nothing much holding in!! I like to think I am showing now ( 8 weeks) but really I know it is just bloating which - if I was not pregnant I would consider myself to be having a fat day and would look exactly the same -LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm 14 weeks pregnant with my third and i have just popped now - with my previous pregnancy it was more like 20 weeks before i popped. I did bloat a lot in the first trimester, which was more noticeable due to my stomach muscle not being what it used to be, but still just bloating - i know because it would go down and i'd have an almost flat stomach again in the morning, then bloat during the day but not everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews

I believe it to be possible to start to show in the first trimester. When I was 8 1/2 months in december with our first, a friend was pregnant with her 4th and was bigger than I was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I am 6 weeks and I have had two people come and ask me if I was pregnant in the last two days... And no, it's not because I'm exaggerating my stomach or waddling around! I truly do have a bloated stomach. I have indigestion and bloating which is the cause of the round tummy, it's obviously not the actually baby and uterus that's showing.

So, I think the symptoms of pregnancy can cause you to 'show', rather than the baby.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

jmiller  (16-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (16-08-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very possible to show early.
    It's about as possible as thin people never showing; and we know that can happen.

With DD, I was about 10 kilos underweight, so I showed very early. At 9 weeks I looked at least 16. I had a very noticeable bump indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that's the thing? How can people show before 12 weeks if the fundus is still tucked down below the pelvic bone? I have not heard of people measuring too big when the fundal height is measured, but if people are showing before 12 weeks then their measurements won't match their dates - which is then a complication. Has anyone who showed early has this experience? Were your dates adjusted? Even if you not showing the fundal height is the same as someone who is showing. I am just puzzled by it

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a little different.. Both ivf pregnancies, both hyperstimulation. Had an ultra sound at 4 weeks cause I was in so much pain.. Ovaries are 10x8cm instead of 3x5(ish)
    I am now 11 weeks and I look 6 months!!
    Same with my first.. But I was bigger then!
    Maybe hormones have some play in some pregnancies?? Sorry, don't know if I helped or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was showing at 9-10 weeks with DD. I'm a small build and had put on 4kg at my 8 week scan.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm getting a belly now and I'm only 6 weeks. I think it's bloating though, I know my uterus has stretched quite a bit already (second bub) because I've felt the cramps. So my guess is that it's pushing everything up a little already. That coupled with bloating = insta-belly! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

With my second, third and current pregnancies I was obviously showing to DH and immediate family at 8 weeks, there was no way I could hide it at 12 weeks.

The uterus may not be high enough to cause the bloating/showing but it is pushing up everything in that area of your tummy so is bound to make things bigger than before.
    You can feel an obvious difference laying down as to what is baby and what is bloating. In all my pregnancies they havent started measuring my fundal height til I was about 20 weeks so haven't had any issues regarding it measuring bigger that early.