+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Staying organised, and juggling work and family - tips?

So I just scored myself a full-time job!!!!

This will be my first time in a full-time position since becoming a mother, and I must say I am a little nervous about how I am going to juggle work, family, housework, social life and still have some time left over for 'me' time.

I will be working from 8:30am - 5pm, 5 days a week...and work is a bit over an hour away. So will be leaving at 7am, and won't be home until 6pm. As it is, I sometimes struggle to get DS to school by 9am!!!

Can any working mothers share some tips? What little things do you do to make this juggle a little bit easier?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Staying organised, and juggling work and family - tips?

Congrats in your new job. I only work school hours, but all the advise I can give is routine, we have a strict routine in morning if my dd plays around she gets something taken off her I can't afford to be late. It works well. Hubby helps out with housework and I have 1 day each weekend that I have me time even though dd is there. You must find you time. I'm do excited for you.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tully78 For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (16-08-2012)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations on the job!!!

I try and get as much as possible organised the night before (laying out uniforms, packing school/daycare bags) and I get up an hour before everyone else, get myself ready in peace/without having to rush, get lunches organised and then wake everyone up for breakfast etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (16-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Staying organised, and juggling work and family - tips?

I do this too ^^^

Also dp gets up and helps me out now I have m/s

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be organised and accept that you wont be able to do everything.

And get a cleaner if you can afford it. Good luck. Its hard work. I work full time with two little kids and find is usually the "me time" that end up slipping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The other thing I'm getting back into the habit of doing is a little bit of housework each night (1/2 hour usually) just before I sit down and have some timeout so we're not left spending all day Saturday cleaning, washing and ironing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

I second doing as much as you can the night before, and getting a cleaner, definitely.

I have little laminated lists on the door for me and DD reminding us what to do and pack every morning - DD has 2 lists with pictures - one that says "get dressed, brush teeth, pack bag etc" and also a list of everything she needs in her bag "lunch box, reading satchel, jumper etc".

I have a diary that I keep next to me all the time and write down everything - I basically micro-manage myself. If I think of something I need to do when I go home, I write it down.

It took me about 6 months to feel slightly in control of everything, so I think just accept that things will be a bit crazy and all over the place at first, but you will eventually settle into a routine and work out what works for you.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your job! I work FT (although I am off with #3 at the moment). Some things that have helped me are:
    1. Make sandwiches on the weekend and freeze them- and always have tonnes of fruit in the house so packing school lunches each day takes 20 seconds.
    2. Stick to a strict routine re breakfast/ bedtime and so on. I need this so I feel like I have some control!
    3. Make sure you have before and afterschool care phone numbers in your phone, as well as a list of a few people you can call in emergencies if you are going to be late getting back to your little one.
    4. Slim down social commitments for a while- expect everyone in the household to be a bit more tired at least in the beginning!
    5. I don't cook at all during the week. I 'assemble' dinner. eg: I always cook bulk curries/ bolognaise/ etc etc on weekends- so I can have a hearty dinner on the table in 15 mins (just have to steam a few veges or cut some salad). Also, I always have cooked pasta and rice in the fridge.
    6. 'Micro managing' is a great tip from Shelle. I have started doing that after missing a few school things eg I sent DS1 in uniform once when he was meant to wear sports clothes.
    All the best

13. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Ellies Mum  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    1. Make sandwiches on the weekend and freeze them- and always have tonnes of fruit in the house so packing school lunches each day takes 20 seconds.
    Oh yes, good one - get all your food sorted on the weekend and do big cook-ups so you only have to pull things out of the fridge/freezer, and don't have to stop at the shops on the way home.

We have brekky in the car every day... it means the car is full of crumbs but an extra 15 minutes sleep is definitely worth it.

Fill the car up with petrol on Sunday so you don't have to worry about it for the week.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Staying organised, and juggling work and family - tips?

WELL DONE EP!!!

my biggest tip..
    DONT go to bed until you are 'packed' for the next day. Bags packed, clothes laid out & lunches/snacks made and in fridge.

Shower at night if you can OR get up early.

I try and bet DD up, so I can shower, dress and coffee before she's up.

She eats breakfast while I do make up.

Then she gets dressed, pack lunch in bags, bags in car and go.

You will find your own groove, & weekends will have a whole new appreciation