+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    They might care, but they don't have a hell of a lot of incentive to do too much
    I guess we have to disagree there as well.

Smoking has dropped dramatically over the years. Why? Because of no advertising, more education on the health risks, smoking bans in public places and higher taxes. All government initiatives I would guess. Plain packaging is just another one to add to the list.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (16-08-2012),moongazer  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Smoking has dropped dramatically over the years. Why? Because of no advertising, more education on the health risks, smoking bans in public places and higher taxes. All government initiatives I would guess. Plain packaging is just another one to add to the list.
    Agree to disagree?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (16-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

I agree. I remember when Paul Hogan used to advertise for Winfield, the slogan being "5 smokes ahead of the rest" because they were 25 to a pack and all other packs were 20. There was also a brand of smokes, I think "Alpine" who were menthol smokes and their adverts were usually lovely pics of a tropical island with crystal clear water with some sort of slogan about how clean and fresh their ciggs were. Benson and Hedges used to sponsor the Ashes cricket matches and had the Queens emblem on the pack. When you watch tele shows and movies prior to the 80s so many people smoked, it was so normalised through the media. I even remember watching an early episode of Hey Hey it's Saturday and Daryl Sommers had left his pack of cigarettes in clear view in front of him.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My comparison regarding labelling of alcohol was to do with comparing if drinking behaviour would change if all labels were plain, not to compare the health issues of alcohol and cigarettes.

My point was plain labelling is unlikely to change behaviour, I get that yucky labelling (like bed suggested) may, and this has been done with cigarettes with some sucess

Thanks
    Reviews

Imo I don't think it will make any difference...

Iv read/heard quite a few people (not just on bub hub) saying that they should be banned because there addictive - but that's kind of like saying lets ban alcohol, coffee, caffeine drinks etc... People can become addicted to these too...

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    My comparison regarding labelling of alcohol was to do with comparing if drinking behaviour would change if all labels were plain, not to compare the health issues of alcohol and cigarettes.

My point was plain labelling is unlikely to change behaviour, I get that yucky labelling (like bed suggested) may, and this has been done with cigarettes with some sucess
    True, but I don't think it's a fair comparison because generally speaking, people don't have the brand loyalty with wine that they do with ciggs. When I buy wine, I don't just buy brand X Cab Sav, I browse, (get overwhelmed and realise I'm totally out of my depth), then pick something depending on price and preferences.

There is plain labeling of wine -cleanskin wine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    True, but I don't think it's a fair comparison because generally speaking, people don't have the brand loyalty with wine that they do with ciggs. When I buy wine, I don't just buy brand X Cab Sav, I browse, (get overwhelmed and realise I'm totally out of my depth), then pick something depending on price and preferences.

There is plain labeling of wine -cleanskin wine.
    I disagree. Lots of people I know will only drink or buy a certain brand, particularly with beer. Whhile I don't drink a lot when I buy wine I always go for the same couple of brands. Clearskin wine is made simply for being cost effective, not for health reasons.

I think the comparison of drinking vs smoking in regards to labelling is a valid one. Thousands die every year, not just from alcohol related illness but from car accidents from alcohol, DV etc. Let's try and stop these deaths by making all alcohol label-less. Then the people addicted to it will suddenly stop drinking bc it not longer has a Jack daniels or VB sticker on it and no teenager will ever drink it to excess again bc it doesn't have the Stolly label.... sound silly? yep it is

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it makes a difference. It's about taking away tobacco companies branding power. People identify with brands and it forms part of their identity just like the clothes they wear. It's not designed to get addicts to stop smoking, it won't, it's designed to deter people from identifying with a particular packet. I think it will make a difference in the uptake rate of smoking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only thing it will change is making more work for the poor person behind the counter. People will smoke if that is what they want to do. Olive green is inviting to me as it reminds me of health hahaha

I think it is a stupid idea like PP just think it is the government pretending to do something about it without losing the money. They are cutting health services anyway so its not like they money wil be spent there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    The only thing it will change is making more work for the poor person behind the counter.
    Nah it really won't make a difference. They are already hidden in drawers; I don't get cigs by sight, I do it by memory.