+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    If the packaging means nothing why did the Tabacco companies spend so much on fighting it? I strongly believe the power of branding plays a huge part in it. So glad it got up.
    because a) they spent MONEY on the design & once apon a time advertising of their brand
    B) brand loyalty is a real thing, a person who grows up to smoke will most likely smoke whatever someone influential in their life smokes, same with just about any other product in existance

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    978
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked
    342
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Exactly...there is a reason cigarette companies invest in their packages...many young people would choose which cigarettes to buy or even choose to start smoking based just on packaging to fit in...
    Now they can all fit in because they will be the same colour?? This still wont stop them picking up the habit, if its because they want to fit in then they will because smoking is the perceived "coolness" not the colour of the packet.

    Sent from my GT-S5830T using BubHub

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkorblue For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (16-08-2012),GuestMember  (16-08-2012)

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    978
    Thanks
    257
    Thanked
    342
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    because a) they spent MONEY on the design & once apon a time advertising of their brand
    B) brand loyalty is a real thing, a person who grows up to smoke will most likely smoke whatever someone influential in their life smokes, same with just about any other product in existance
    Yes this^^

    Sent from my GT-S5830T using BubHub

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,055
    Thanks
    1,493
    Thanked
    602
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    because a) they spent MONEY on the design & once apon a time advertising of their brand
    B) brand loyalty is a real thing, a person who grows up to smoke will most likely smoke whatever someone influential in their life smokes, same with just about any other product in existance
    In the absence of branding though, isn't it likely (to a much lesser degree) that someone will be influenced by the cigarette lighter or a cigarette case? (Not trying to argue genuinely curious what others think)

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why don't they remove nicotine out of cigarettes? Genuine question. Is it possible? Has it ever been considered?

    As for the packaging, I work in a supermarket, and while I have never had anyone come and say "oh I want to take up smoking because the packet looks pretty", I do regularly have people who switch brands because the packets are pretty. Seriously. I even had a lady last week who bought EXTRA cigs because she liked the colour of the packet, as well as buying her usual ones. She smoked both packs in the one day that she usually smoked a single pack. Because it was "a pretty colour"!!

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,700
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked
    503
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    In the absence of branding though, isn't it likely (to a much lesser degree) that someone will be influenced by the cigarette lighter or a cigarette case? (Not trying to argue genuinely curious what others think)
    nope it simply means that say if I had grown up into a smoker and my muks ciggies had aways been "brown" I would be most likely to choose the cheapest packet on the market (around say idk $8 / $10 a packet) instead of the winfield blue my mum has always smoked,it would simply mean I would have more money that would most likely be spent on more smokes.

    smokers these days start because its "cool" the brand is the "cool smoker" chooses to smoke is widely influenced by brand loyalty but the decision to smoke is NOT done as a brand related thing.

    They do say if your parent / s smoke you are alot higher likely to smoke, I grew up with 2 smoking parents, dad was that bad he would have massive coughing fits and then like convulsions where he would loose total control of his body often falling and hurting himself then having no memory of it, I grew up watching that as a kid and THAT firmly implant that I would never, ever touch ciggies (and I have never, ever even tried one)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

    Laydeebugxxx  (16-08-2012)

  9. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The govt is also making a huge amount of money off addicted people, imo above and beyond what it may cost for their health down the track. This is manipulation. make out they are trying to cut smoking when really they know it will do nothing and they can continue to take advantage of the addicted all the while patting themselves on the back for 'addressing' the habit.

    If the govt truly cared they would be providing free quit smoking aids, hypnotherapy etc.
    I don't think the government would pay millions to advertise quit ads in prime time if they didn't care.

    And 5 free counselling sessions.

  10. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Griffith NSW
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked
    918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think the government would pay millions to advertise quit ads in prime time if they didn't care.

    And 5 free counselling sessions.
    I think that they do that as a visible way to show the community what they are doing to 'fight' smoking, while they really don't give a toss.

    They are HIGHLY visible when it comes to quit support, but not with much else.

    The few programs and aids that are
    Available for pot and other illegal drugs aren't shown as much

  11. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    I think that they do that as a visible way to show the community what they are doing to 'fight' smoking, while they really don't give a toss.

    They are HIGHLY visible when it comes to quit support, but not with much else.

    The few programs and aids that are
    Available for pot and other illegal drugs aren't shown as much
    Smoking kills more people a year than illegal drugs, so it makes sense that they concentrate on that. You can get 5 free counselling sessions for drug addiction, this includes cigarettes and illegal drugs.

    I disagree the government doesn't care.

  12. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Griffith NSW
    Posts
    2,237
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked
    918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Smoking kills more people a year than illegal drugs, so it makes sense that they concentrate on that. You can get 5 free counselling sessions for drug addiction, this includes cigarettes and illegal drugs.

    I disagree the government doesn't care.
    They might care, but they don't have a hell of a lot of incentive to do too much


 

Similar Threads

  1. SnS Maxi Rider AHR - Packaging?
    By LifeInShadesOfGrey in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-07-2012, 10:11
  2. Packaging from china
    By onelasttime in forum Working From Home
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 15:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!