+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post

Either make it illegal or leave us the hell alone.
    This times 1000....

People don't buy smokes based on the pretty packaging they buy them bc they are addicted. Teens don't start smoking bc of the pretty packaging either, as has been said, they smoke bc of the taboo. What brand they decide to smoke *may* be influenced by the packaging but a teen isn't going to see a gold packet, not ever thinking of smoking before and say oohh pretty I think I might take up the habit now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

pinkorblue  (16-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Actually, when I smoked I can definitely say that packaging would have influenced which brand I bought. A nice Benson & Hedges pack looks so much classier than a Winfield Blue pack or a Peter Jackson pack.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (16-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Actually, when I smoked I can definitely say that packaging would have influenced which brand I bought. A nice Benson & Hedges pack looks so much classier than a Winfield Blue pack or a Peter Jackson pack.
    That is the brand though, when you already smoked...

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    That is the brand though, when you already smoked...
    True, but, I do remember as a young teenager seeing my cousin (who usually had designer everything and I totally looked up to) carry around a nice silver pack of Sterling ciggs, it looked really classy, kind of like the 80s equivalent of when women smoked using those long cigarette holders, I always thought they looked really glamorous. I can't help but wonder how much influence that had on me to start smoking. (Not just the packaging alone but combined the packaging with the role model)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Would changing beer or wine labels stop people buying alcohol?
    Alcohol, when used as directed - one or two moderate drinks per day, does not cause the myriad of health problems that cigarettes do.

Cigarettes, when used as directed, cause cancer, heart disease, and many other problems.

A person can die from drinking too much water. Any medication or food when abused can cause health problems, so you might as well compare chocolate to cigarette smoking if you are going to compare alcohol.

So comparing alcohol to cigarettes is really using a straw man and clouds the simple debate.

Plain packaging is not designed to just or only put off existing smokers. If it does than that's a bonus. Plain packing is designed to make smoking less attractive to new smokers.

If cigarette smoking was made illegal overnight the black market would expand exponentially within 24 hours - prohibition of a previously legal item never works really well so making cigarettes illegal by an act of parliment won't work and will cause law enforcement extra work. whereas whittling away at the smoking practice will eventually wor IMO.

The tobacco companies are grotesquely rich and powerful. No government can make smoking illegal overnight - it would just about bankrupt even the richest country. Whereas Australia's constant chipping away will eventually work - and hopefully other countries will follow our lead.

I think plain packaging is a wonderful thing and is just one more small thing that will eventually stop the entire tobacco trade altogether

ETA - if the cigarette companies are so sure that plain packaging won't help/change things or effect sales, why did they take this to the high court?
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 16-08-2012 at 19:01.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Bethylou78  (16-08-2012),Luna Lovegood  (16-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    The govt is also making a huge amount of money off addicted people, imo above and beyond what it may cost for their health down the track. This is manipulation. make out they are trying to cut smoking when really they know it will do nothing and they can continue to take advantage of the addicted all the while patting themselves on the back for 'addressing' the habit.

If the govt truly cared they would be providing free quit smoking aids, hypnotherapy etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (16-08-2012),GuestMember  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I know it sounds silly to suggest people only take up smoking due to packaging but it does make you wonder why these brands even put any money and thought into their packaging in the first place if it's so meaningless.

I'm not sure if it will do anything to prevent people from taking up smoking or not... But I also don't claim to be a marketing genius or be well researched in the area of human subconscious.
    Exactly...there is a reason cigarette companies invest in their packages...many young people would choose which cigarettes to buy or even choose to start smoking based just on packaging to fit in...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This times 1000....

People don't buy smokes based on the pretty packaging they buy them bc they are addicted. Teens don't start smoking bc of the pretty packaging either, as has been said, they smoke bc of the taboo. What brand they decide to smoke *may* be influenced by the packaging but a teen isn't going to see a gold packet, not ever thinking of smoking before and say oohh pretty I think I might take up the habit now.
    All that will happen now is 'brand loyalty ' will be gone and the teens who are going to smoke will smoke the cheapest ciggies giving them more money for probably more ciggies.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

delirium  (16-08-2012),pinkorblue  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    All that will happen now is 'brand loyalty ' will be gone and the teens who are going to smoke will smoke the cheapest ciggies giving them more money for probably more ciggies.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    ITA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Cigarette plain packaging - awesome ad

If the packaging means nothing why did the Tabacco companies spend so much on fighting it? I strongly believe the power of branding plays a huge part in it. So glad it got up.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (16-08-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast