+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cranky while feeding

My bub us 5 weeks old and every Di often since she was 3 weeks she seems to get really cranky when feeding. She really pulls and pushes on nipple as if she is trying really hard to suck something out. Then sine times she will start crying. A few times I have stopped and gave her a bottle of expressed milk as I thought she wasn't getting any milk. I phoned a lactation consultant who says I shouldn't have run out of milk and to keep persisting so she wasn't much help. I tried pumping after feed and hardly anything came out. What to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Bumping for you

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Is she swallowing while she is cranky? Wet nappies?

Thanks
    Reviews

My bub did this around this age (1-2 months old). He'd claw at my boob, pull at the nipple and generally frustrated while feeding. This would usually happen about half way thru the feed, and generally in the early evening when he'd cluster feed.

A few things were suggested to me at my local ABA meeting incl. wind and frustration that the initial high milk flow at the start of the feed had slowed down. He was gaining weight really well so I wasn't worried about supply, though he seemed to have a growth spurt at this time so he might've been trying to increase my supply.

Suggestions given to me were to stop and burp him, and then to change boobs. He would almost always do a big burp (not sure if the wind caused frustration or the frustration caused the wind!!) and seemed to settle (for awhile) once I change sides.

This phase seemed to last a few weeks and then settled down. They're certainly funny little creatures, these babies!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (17-08-2012),withloveandlimits  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found my girls would sometimes get cranky when the milk slowed down during a feed, they only wanted the early 'lite' milk as they were thirsty. Took me a while to work it out and when they did that I'd just pop them off and put the dummy in til they calmed down and then let them back at in 5 or 10 minutes if they were still interested.
    I used fenugreek to up my supply and it worked. I also used Gripe Water to calm my babies, a dose before a feed always helped BUT for mine it had to be the one with the white label you buy from a supermarket definately not the purple label one from the pharmacy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for that ladies. Maybe I should try dummy to calm down and let her try again. Although if there is no milk, there is no milk. I have heard if fenugreek so will give that a go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Cranky while feeding

Mine did this too and it was all wind. A big burp helped then he would finish his feed.