+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

Oh dear, I can see that dd2 will be wearing hand-me-downs for her entire school life!

**Nothing spells as goof ash typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    $1300??? Was the bulk of that spend on uniforms? I didn't go to school in Australia so I'm a bit clueless about uniforms etc, I had two skirts, two blouses and two jumpers, that's it. Oh and gym clothes.

So what's the difference in summer & winter uniforms, and what's the minimum I can get away with buying?

**Nothing spells as goof ash typo splats**
    No, the bulk was spent on the "voluntary" fees and donations - that part was about $650 all up I think. Includes library donation and building donation which were tax deductible. And a "working bee" subsidy as I knew I would never be able to help with a working bee.

We paid all excursions, stationery etc up front at the beginning of the year too, that was a couple of hundred.

DD has - 2 summer dresses, four polo tops (three long sleeve, one short), two winter tunics, one pair of "skorts", two pairs of track pants, one jumper, one fleece jacket, 5 pairs of woollen tights, runners and black school shoes (have gone through two pairs of each so far - DD is very rough on her shoes). That all added up to about $400.

Plus school bag, library bag, reading satchel, socks, hair ties... it just doesn't stop!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

I think we got off lightly!

Dd is in prep in Victoria.
    School fees were $200 (including voluntary contribution and books),
    Uniform is royal blue jumper and polo shirt (got from Kmart for $6 each jumper and $4 polo), Navy check school dress ($15), pants ($10) and skorts ($15)
    so clothes all up - $136
    We got her runners from Kmart/target for $14 and she'll need another pair shortly so say $30 for shoes for the year.
    Excursions - she has had 2 at $10 each and hot food day every fortnight is $5.

So $380ish plus fortnightly hot food days for the year.
    Uniforms can be purchased from a uniform shop with logos on them so that would bump up cost as the polo shirts alone are $15-20 each. She also chose her own schoolbag which was $20 as opposed to $50 for the schools specific bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us (In Vic public) we HAVE to buy the school uniform with the logo and its crazy expensive!! I only wish we could buy the Kmart polos as the school short sleeve polo costs $30 Then you need to buy the school hat, school bag, long sleeve polos, jacket, rain coat. It adds up! I understand that the school uses it as a fundraiser but its really expensive. And I bought 4 tops as I hate washing everyday...and DS can be a messy little bugger!

The school supplies, etc cost $180 I think, plus excursions probably about $100, then there are the shoes, water bottles, snack boxes as they dont like things wrapped in plastic, sun screen (to keep in his bag) any canteen food (we do it once a month as a treat).

I think we probably spent about $600.

And yes DS2 will be in hand me downs until he objects. Right now he is happy to so thats great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post

So what's the difference in summer & winter uniforms, and what's the minimum I can get away with buying?
    For girls is probably different as the girls have summer and winter dresses. Boys can get away with Black pants/shorts.

You should check out your schools website as they should have something about what you have to have. DS1 school has this on their website - http://www.berwickfieldsps.vic.edu.au/uniform so it tells you what you nee to buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh one thing I will add. At DS1 school they have a choice of White Polos or Royal Blue polos so I bought two of each.

Apparently they dont wear white polos at school so DS1 refuses to wear them. Nice waste of money that was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

I spent about $250 on 5 uniforms(2 checked shirts, 2 polos, 5 shorts plus a plain green polo from best and less) plus 2 hats, about 5 jumpers, 3 tracksuit pants. I buy socks every 2ish months for DS too as we seem to be losing them somehow. Shoes I bought a good brand which were $70 and his book pack was $140 I think plus there was a $70 'voluntary' payment which had to get paid and a few incursions with 1 excursion which was $25.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub