+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

Just wondering roughly how much you budget for the costs of prep/grade 1 - uniforms, supplies, excursions etc? Any other costs I need to budget for?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

I would love to know this too so I'm subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends if you are going to a private or public school I guess.

I can only comment on public.

Uniform was about $120 for 2 shirts, jumper, hat, bag and some skorts. We got some dresses free so she has been using those but they cost $50. I have now found out that the green school jumper is fine and that is only $8.

Shoes - $60 get good ones otherwise they wear through them and by the time you purchase multiple cheap ones you would be better just buying the expensive pair to begin with.

Stationary Items - We got a book list that was $70 for prep. At the start of each term we get a item to buy $6 worth off. Mine is paper serviettes this time, last term it was cupcake wrappers.

Water bottles - Buy a few. My DD is always losing hers so I wouldn't buy an expensive one as it is frustrating.

Excursions/ Incursions - My DD has been on 3 this year so far. They have totalled $25 so far this year. I can not comment on the rest of the year as we only know once we get the little envelope. The you have things like sausage sizzle fundraisers and things like that.

About all I can think of at the moment. Hope that helps

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What are your rough $$ for prep/grade 1 in public school?

Yes its public. That's an excellent help, I hadn't thought of shoes and fundraising... And I believe our school is big on fundraising

Anyone have anything else to add?

**Nothing spells as goof ash typo splats**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, I think I've spent about $1300 on DD over all so far for Prep - this includes all the "voluntary" fees and donations to the school (public school), stationery, excursions, full summer and winter uniform (I bought quite a bit as I don't have time to wash during the week though. If you wash more often you can spend less), shoes, school bag, lunch boxes and snack containers.

I imagine it will be a bit less for grade 1 as I won't need to buy a full uniform and lunch stuff - just replace a few things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Cheerilee covered everything. Best and Less, Target and Big W all sell school clothes (shorts, polos, trackies).

Definitely buy good quality leather shoes as the cheaper ones wear out quickly.

The only other costs I can think of is school photos, I think ours were around $40. We have fundraising too, something every few weeks.

DD also orders her lunch fortnightly when I do canteen, plus takes 50c on hot days for an iceblock.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

$1300??? Was the bulk of that spend on uniforms? I didn't go to school in Australia so I'm a bit clueless about uniforms etc, I had two skirts, two blouses and two jumpers, that's it. Oh and gym clothes.

So what's the difference in summer & winter uniforms, and what's the minimum I can get away with buying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    $1300??? Was the bulk of that spend on uniforms? I didn't go to school in Australia so I'm a bit clueless about uniforms etc, I had two skirts, two blouses and two jumpers, that's it. Oh and gym clothes.

So what's the difference in summer & winter uniforms, and what's the minimum I can get away with buying?

Depends what the uniform is. For my girls it is either the dress or the polo shirt with either black tracksuit pants or black skorts. They can wear which ever one they like. There is then the green jumper. Under their dress in the winter my older child has some black stockings and they also have black leggings from either target or bigw.

Their school shoes can either be joggers or black school shoes. My younger DD only has joggers though.

So between them (they wear the same size) I have 3 school shirts, 3 dresses (another that needs hemming), 2 jumpers, lots of leggings (they wear these out of school as well). 2 pairs of track suit pants. My older DD has a pair of black shoes and joggers and my younger DD has joggers only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

I think prep was pretty cheap. No book packs had to be purchased, no excursions, i didn't bother with the voluntary fee so it was just the uniforms, tissues, realm of paper and a school waterproof library bag. So probably around $200 all up.
    Yr 1 the book pack was about $120, plus a couple of new uniforms.. Probably $100ish, one excursion was around $40 and the other was $25.

I think fees will very so much between different schools and even the states.

Prep and yr 1 were in qld, yr2 is in nsw and they seem to ask for less money up front but there are far more expenses throughout the year. I have to pay for my DS to do sport/PE equivilant whereas in Qld its compulsary and free. They seem to go on more excursions here so that cost more. There are no set book packs to buy... Just the textbooks so that probably works out cheaper.
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    NSW public system: "voluntary contribution" $100 or so. 'S not really voluntary.
    And winter uniform: tunic, shirt, tights, jumper and polar fleece. It gets cold where we are. Sports uniform: tshirt, netball skirt, or trackie daks for winter, rugby top and runners.

Continuous fund raising.
    And the teacher will let you know what the classroom is running out of: tissues, hand sanitiser, art supplies. None of the excursions my little un went on cost more than ten bucks.
    PP: the bill for uniforms and shoes for the entire year came to $800. Including absolutely everything- the woollen jumper alone was $85. So $120 is spectacularly good. Bit jealous really. But I bought heaps- enough for a uniform each day, so I didn't have to wash during the week.