+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No... I'm too independent. I get along well with my family but we'd drive each other insane! Only if It was for a couple weeks in an emergency or something

Thanks
    Reviews
    No chance, I have friends who have and it ended it a strained relationship between them and the parents/inlaws.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ei16 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has moved in with family to pay off debt or to save money???? Did you get ahead? How long we're you there for ? How much did you save? Was it worth it??

Probably not. Dh has bought it up a few times. We would probably need about 10-18mths to get us ahead or to save up a house deposit.
    Then we'd stay there till the house was built.
    The only thing stopping me is that i'd go absolutely insane living with my mum again. Im a control freak and she has no problems taking over my role as mum to my kids in MY home now. I couldnt let that happen over a long period of time. There would have to be some harsh boundaries regarding the role of 'grandma' and my children and only I am their mother.
    Even tho i lived there as a child, id still feel as tho im a guest or still a child living at home having to answer to my parents about eveything im doing.
    So no, we wont be going down that path. But we have thought about it, it just wouldnt be worth the stress imo.
    We are used to working hard for our money and will continue to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just curious, for those of you who have lived with parents to save money, did you pay any form of rent while you stayed with them, or was it just their goodwill?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Has anyone or would you move in with family to get ahead?

Before kids XH (when he was DH) and i moved in with his parents for 2yrs to save money.
    We saved to renovate the unit we owned and enough for a deposit on a new house.
    It had its good and bad points but was def worth it in the end.

Not sure i could move in with parents or in-laws now i have kids though

Thanks
    Reviews

I do now I pay them rent every
    Week cook dinner 3 times a week and buy groceries on top of that for me and my daughter. I'm doin it to save money and pay off debts at the mom t got nearly all debts paid and then I'll be saving over 300 a week till I'm ready tk move out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I didn't pay rent at the time. I offered but because I wasn't going out and instead saving every cent I had they wouldn't accept it. I had moved out when I was 16 so I was used to having to work hard for what I needed. I did cook and clean tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would only move in with my parents if it was a case of dire financial hardship. Unless of course they had some sort of living quarters where we had a lot of privacy (eg, a granny flat).

DH & I have been living independently for so long, I think it would drive us nuts to live as a married couple with any other adults for that matter.

So no, I wouldn't just to get ahead. And definitely wouldn't live with the IL's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not even an option for us. My parents live in a small three bedroom apartment with no storage so we would never fit.
    My MIL lives in a caravan park and my FIL lives in another country and still has 6 kids living under his roof..an apartment roof.
    So no, for us it is not even an option. If we were in dire straits we'd have to ask our parents to give us cheap rent in their rental property. It's the best we could get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had friends move into our spare room for maybe 2-3 months. Without paying a mortage, they probably saved maybe $3500 by contributing $100 rent to us, instead of $400+ in mortgage repayments.

Definately worth the shot if you can, either with friends or family. At some stage you've got to look past the downfalls, and just take the opportunity to save as much money as you can. It's not a "forever" thing, and while putting up with a single room and cramped space can feel unbearable at times, just think of the good financial outcome when you've saved enough to get out and move on.