+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

I can't donate due to medical reasons but my family would be devastated to know that because I can't be a donor then I'm in eligible to receive an organ, that's not how I believe it should work. You potentially penalize my children and my ability to live due to my inability to donate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

Are the criteria for organ donation similar to those of giving blood?

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also...

Organ transplants are usually for chronic conditions, rarely for emergency situations. If such a system existed and someone needed a transplant but had said they didn't want to donate, they would have plenty of time to change their mind and thus be eligible to go on the transplant waiting list.

Of course, as I said above, most people who are in need of organs can't donate, and I'm pretty sure once you have a transplant the anti-rejection drugs would make you ineligible to donate anyway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    Also...

Organ transplants are usually for chronic conditions, rarely for emergency situations. If such a system existed and someone needed a transplant but had said they didn't want to donate, they would have plenty of time to change their mind and thus be eligible to go on the transplant waiting list.

Of course, as I said above, most people who are in need of organs can't donate, and I'm pretty sure once you have a transplant the anti-rejection drugs would make you ineligible to donate anyway.
    Agree with this, tried to thank it but there is no thanks!! I think I accidentally hit report :S

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
    Agree with this, tried to thank it but there is no thanks!! I think I accidentally hit report :S
    The thanks worked hopefully the report didn't lol!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The way I see it, if you're UNWILLING (not you cannot for whatever reason, but you're actually opposed to your organs being donated) to donate then you should not be able to recieve. That is how I believe it would work in an ideal world, however I don't think it would ever be easily implemented. I could just say, "Oh yeah, I'd donate for sure!" once I discovered I needed a donation... because chances are I'd then be ineligible to donate anyway, and I could just tell all my friends and family to not allow harvesting after my death anyway. I don't think it'd work well, I just think MORALLY people shouldn't be allowed to accept if they are unwilling to help save others if they can.

Children are an absolute exception to this, and their parents beliefs should in no way have any impact on their right to recieve a donation.

I also belief in an opt-out policiy. Those who are too lazy to bother to register would still be donors... and those who are absolutely opposed to donation would go out of their way to make sure they were on the register to NOT donate.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

While we're at it, why don't we tell people who don't donate to charity that they are then in elligible to receive help if they find themselves in times of need (help from salvos etc) What about people who don't pay taxes... They shouldn't receive welfare..... It could go on and on.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious why people wouldn't want to donate. Setting aside medical and religious beliefs why wouldn't you want to save someone else's life if you lost yours?

Thanks
    Reviews

It's really just theoretical and nothing more, considering if you signed up they still ask your family - and they might say no, and I'd you didn't sign up they still ask your family and they might say yes.