+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

I am not an organ donor, yet I have received blood transfusions and almost a transplant.
    I think every human being deserves a chance at life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The whole 'no give, no return' thing actually makes me really sad It's like saying not to do something for someone unless they have done something for you, or will give you something in return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm sure it's on Qld licences! I can't be bothered going to get mine but it always used to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I'm sure it's on Qld licences! I can't be bothered going to get mine but it always used to be.
    it was for a long time, but they took it off Queensland licences a few years ago.

as for the original question, I don't think receiving an organ should be conditional upon you being on the registry. It feels like a slippery slope to making a contract for receiving organs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no.
    there is such a shortage of organ donors and such a long list of people waiting to receive them. in my opinion it's just greedy.....like someone willing to take welfare from the government yet refuse to pay taxes when they get a job.
    if you don't want to donate, then don't. simple.
    but don't expect someone else to give it to you when so many others are in need AND willing to donate if the situation was reversed.
    i wish organ donation was like vaccination, that unless you legally filed a conscientious objection (for whatever reason) then medical staff could act on the assumption that you were a donor.
    Last edited by halloweendee; 15-08-2012 at 23:22.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

I must say that the idea of an 'opt out' system is a little scary to me. While it would be ideal if everybody who is able to donated, the thought that anything could be done to my body that I did not express consent to would terrify me.

I do think that like any gift, the receipt of a donated material should not be dependent on a promise of return.

Interesting subject! For the record, I am registered to donate.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rlpreston For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just curious to hear thoughts.

Assuming the is a 'no give no receive' system in place, how is this monitored?

For example, say I turned 18 yesterday. I have not registered as an organ donor yet but suffer a sudden medical emergency and find that I require an organ transplant. Is it too late now to register?

If so, what if I always intended to donate but couldn't register in time?

If not, what if I am in a coma and unable to express my willingness to have been a donor myself?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlpreston View Post
    I must say that the idea of an 'opt out' system is a little scary to me. While it would be ideal if everybody who is able to donated, the thought that anything could be done to my body that I did not express consent to would terrify me.

I do think that like any gift, the receipt of a donated material should not be dependent on a promise of return.

Interesting subject! For the record, I am registered to donate.
    I realise that this is an old thread but I didn't see it before *chuckle*.

An opt out would simply be that, you just say you don't want to be on the registry and they remove you. If you felt that strongly enough about it, you'd be motivated enough to get yourself off the list. However at the moment it's if you can be bothered, then you go ON the list.

Think of the number of people who'd probably donate if they didn't have to muck around organising to get on the registry. It's not a difficult thing, but you have to think of it and be reminded to do something. It's not something that comes up in every day conversation iykwim. If it were an opt out system and you didn't want to be on the list, you'd probably go out of your way to be taken off it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

wherewerewe91  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes I do. I don't think anyone has the right to deny anyone else medical assistance, unless the person who needs the assistance refuses it. It's too slippery a slope.
    I do think it shpuld be opt out, though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I agree completely.

I think an opt- out system would be a great idea!

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ummm, yes, because many people who need organs can't donate them