+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I think so. As FL said every person has the right to receive medical care. And yes it should be opt out.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Everyone should be entitled to receive medical assistance but I think a priority system might work. Say:

1) emergent cases where the patient is a donor (or not a donor only for medical reasons)
    2) emergent cases where the patient is not a donor
    3) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor
    4) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor

So if there are two people who both need a heart transplant just as urgently as each other and one is a donor and one isn't, the donor should get first priority.

I also believe it should be opt-out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (25-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sorry for being ignorant but what do people mean by it should be opt out? Do you mean that everyone should automatically be an organ donor unless they apply to opt out of it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yuck..what a horrid suggestion. medical ethics is not comprised of a user pays system..we help people if the ability is there.

What next? Refuse transfusions or blood products to people who aren't blood donors?

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

aish  (16-08-2012),babyla  (15-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (25-08-2012),chameleon  (15-08-2012),ItWasntMe  (15-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (25-08-2012),lovesushi  (16-08-2012),missjess86  (25-08-2012),MissMuppet  (15-08-2012),tootiredtosleep  (15-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yes I do. I don't think anyone has the right to deny anyone else medical assistance, unless the person who needs the assistance refuses it. It's too slippery a slope.
    I do think it shpuld be opt out, though.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    This!

Although I think people who currently say they would be ok with not receiving an organ when they need it may find it's not that easy to decline when their life is on the line...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should someone who says no to being an organ donor be eligible to receive one?

Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    Sorry for being ignorant but what do people mean by it should be opt out? Do you mean that everyone should automatically be an organ donor unless they apply to opt out of it?
    Yes. So by default everyone is a donor, unless they opt out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Everyone should be entitled to receive medical assistance but I think a priority system might work. Say:

1) emergent cases where the patient is a donor (or not a donor only for medical reasons)
    2) emergent cases where the patient is not a donor
    3) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor
    4) non-emergent cases where the patient is a donor

So if there are two people who both need a heart transplant just as urgently as each other and one is a donor and one isn't, the donor should get first priority.

I also believe it should be opt-out.
    I think I like your idea, I wouldn't want someone who was going to die to not get a lifesaving transplant but apart from religious beliefs or children I do not understand why you would not be a donor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    Yuck..what a horrid suggestion. medical ethics is not comprised of a user pays system..we help people if the ability is there.

What next? Refuse transfusions or blood products to people who aren't blood donors?
    COmpletely agree.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Its a hard one, as like anything there is a grey area people that cant donate for health reasons, Should they then not be eligable ?? if so then no i dont agree.

What about children ?? should a child only be able to receive an organ if they agree to donate if they dont make it? how can we put that on a child ? or how can we put that on a mother or father.

Organ donation in my opinion should be opt out not opt in, But i dont think if someone cant donate that they shouldnt be able to get one, I very much doubt that my DD could ever be an organ donor ( not something we plan on finding out ever) but i would hope that wouldnt make her ineligable to reveive one as we know that there is a high possiblity she will need a new GI system at some point in her life

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I think I like your idea, I wouldn't want someone who was going to die to not get a lifesaving transplant but apart from religious beliefs or children I do not understand why you would not be a donor.
    I think most people who aren't a donor for religious reasons also would not want to be a recipient for the same reason anyway.