+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default rhyme time or lunch time?....

I take my toddler to the library for rhyme time and to borrow some books every week. The session goes for 20mins and starts at 10.30am.
    There is one mother there who is really bugging me...
    Every week she will pull out a full LUNCHBOX for her BIG toddler. When her son makes the lightest grizzle, she will FORCE a piece of food into his mouth. He tries to spit it out but she shoves it back in. He clearly ISNT HUNGRY!

First of all - why is she making him eat IN A LIBRARY, infront of other kids without food?
    The session runs for 20mins max. Thats it! Cant she organise to feed him before? Cant he go 20 mins without her stuffing his face?
    I mean, it's not even close to being around a normal "lunch time" 10.30am???!!
    My dd and 2 other little toddlers were completely distracted by his eating and all the things in his lunchbox - when the mother started offering the other toddlers food, that was my last straw and i took my daughter away and had to re-direct her attention to the songs and stories being told.
    I'm suprised the library staff who run the session havent said something to her as it's the 3rd time she has attended and pulled out a lunchbox full of food for her son.

I just dont get it. The kid wants to join in and sing with the others....the mother sits him down and stuffs his face. WTF?
    It's not really my place to say anything to her or the staff, is it?!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hmm I think maybe you need to look out of the box maybe there is more to it
    Ds' best friend is diabetic and he has to eat when he has to not when he wants to.
    You could ask the library staff about it,pretty sure libraries are no food zones

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: rhyme time or lunch time?....

Our library allows food. Lots do these days. It's not really the librarian's place to speak to her unless it's super disruptive to the group. Just ignore it- rhyme time is full of distractions for toddlers, it's not a huge deal unless it's parents chattering incessantly. LOL. Sorry, pet hate

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    Hmm I think maybe you need to look out of the box maybe there is more to it
    Ds' best friend is diabetic and he has to eat when he has to not when he wants to.
    You could ask the library staff about it,pretty sure libraries are no food zones

I guess that could be the case. But for 20 minutes? in a library?
    In any other circumstance i would even bat an eyelid but the fact that some of the kids were distracted by it and she was offering them food, really annoyed me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Our library allows food. Lots do these days. It's not really the librarian's place to speak to her unless it's super disruptive to the group. Just ignore it- rhyme time is full of distractions for toddlers, it's not a huge deal unless it's parents chattering incessantly. LOL. Sorry, pet hate

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Yeah i agree with the annoying chattering parentals. grrr. The food is just yet another distraction i have to drag my dd from. No one else brings food. I havent actualy even looked for food sinage. Guess i'll just have to put up with it for 2o mins.

Thanks
    Reviews

Perhaps it is how she keeps him quite and behaved, it may be her coping mechanism? Whatever - her prerogative, just as you can choose not to sit near her, allow your child a morsel of food at 10.30, whatever you choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to bring some 'emergency biscuits' with me to rhyme time and if DD started to look she was going to start screaming/tearing the place down i would give her one to keep her quiet. Sometimes it would be enough to get her to sit still for a few minutes and other times she would not have a bar of it - in desperation i probably did try to keep getting her to eat it sometimes.
    Perhaps she is just worried about her DS being loud/disruptive and hopes food will stop that? I don't know, who cares really? If it bothers you sit at the other end of the room..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I used to bring some 'emergency biscuits' with me to rhyme time and if DD started to look she was going to start screaming/tearing the place down i would give her one to keep her quiet. Sometimes it would be enough to get her to sit still for a few minutes and other times she would not have a bar of it - in desperation i probably did try to keep getting her to eat it sometimes.
    Perhaps she is just worried about her DS being loud/disruptive and hopes food will stop that? I don't know, who cares really? If it bothers you sit at the other end of the room..
    Yeah this is exactly what i thought when reading the OP. she has a loud child and wants to try and keep them quiet and distracted - probably because she has been in situations when people have frowned - or worse - at her when her child has been loud and enthusiastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many of the mums do so at ours I was beginning to feel bad that I don't organize something for dd!! But I do agree they can go 20 mins to half an hour without unless there is a medical emergency!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont sit near this lady. dd however, walks around the room mingling with the other kids which i dont have a problem with. Its when she heads to this lady and her son's lunchbox...and she offers my daughter food!!
    Its not just a bickie to keep him behaved for a moment i could understand that happening.....its a LUNCHBOX filled with a filthy big sandwich, a container of mixed fruits, salada's with something inbetween them and a drink bottle. All spread out infront of him as his mother squishes it into his mouth.

i feed my dd morning tea before we head out anywhere, or she has something in the car on the run. If she doesnt behave, we leave. simple.
    id ignore her if i could but dd is fascinated by this picnic happening at rhyme time atm and its just kinda frustrating at times as she is usually very involved with the songs ect.. Think we will find a different library.