View Poll Results: Do you recycle properly?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I recycle 100% properly

    5 19.23%
  • Ok, SOME stuff slips in there unwashed, unstapled etc.

    12 46.15%
  • I never rinse or remove anything

    8 30.77%
  • No, the recycle bin often has general household stuff in it

    1 3.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Your Recycling Bin

    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    That is a good thing!

    I used to be in the city...I just can't get used to throwing recyclables in the normal bin.
    That would drive me nuts too

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    652
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3 strikes and you're out? I heard that they want to fine people for doing stuff like that.. to me I'd just not recycle anything. Surely they'd be better off like a PP said their council does and just use a machine to wash everything out?

    I mean it's a bit like Vinnies complaining about the stuff people leave there... (Yes some people are slack and when you leave a broken television there than what's the point?) but I remember they were complaining about clothes that had a minor rip that could easily be sewn up and other things that people wouldn't realise. Now I don't donate anything to them. I just throw it all in the bin =\

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default Your Recycling Bin

    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    3 strikes and you're out? I heard that they want to fine people for doing stuff like that.. to me I'd just not recycle anything. Surely they'd be better off like a PP said their council does and just use a machine to wash everything out?

    I mean it's a bit like Vinnies complaining about the stuff people leave there... (Yes some people are slack and when you leave a broken television there than what's the point?) but I remember they were complaining about clothes that had a minor rip that could easily be sewn up and other things that people wouldn't realise. Now I don't donate anything to them. I just throw it all in the bin =\
    St Vinnies is mostly run by volunteers though who don't have time to sew/wash everything.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default Your Recycling Bin

    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    That would drive me nuts too
    Yes. It's awful!!!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Re: Your Recycling Bin

    Option 2. Most gets rinsed, all lids come off etc etc

    ***Sent from my phone***

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm anal about it. My mum's town has yet to get them in, so she is clueless. Drove me batty when she spent a month here. She would stick the plastic bottles in the normal bin, or put them in recycling without rinsing. Yep, that milk carton will be pleasant after 2 weeks in a hot bin...

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    591
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 'single bin recycling' where we only have one bin and it all gets sorted at the depot. Bags get broken open, magnets pull out the metals, tumblers remove the paper etc - it's all pretty cool.

    In saying that - I try and make sure that it's all clean and not in a bag unless it has to be.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    3 strikes and you're out? I heard that they want to fine people for doing stuff like that.. to me I'd just not recycle anything. Surely they'd be better off like a PP said their council does and just use a machine to wash everything out?

    I mean it's a bit like Vinnies complaining about the stuff people leave there... (Yes some people are slack and when you leave a broken television there than what's the point?) but I remember they were complaining about clothes that had a minor rip that could easily be sewn up and other things that people wouldn't realise. Now I don't donate anything to them. I just throw it all in the bin =\
    That's a pretty poor attitude to have. It's pretty easy to put ONLY recyclables in the recycling, if you're unsure, leave it out. So just because you'd get in trouble for putting garbage in the recycling, you'd rather not recycle ANYTHING?

    And as for the charity thing, as PP said, they are volunteers, they get alot of donations to sort through, it just makes their job a hell of a lot easier if they get stuff they can just put straight onto the shelves instore. Again, just because they won't accept your ripped clothes, now you just chuck everything out, even stuff that's still useful??

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    FearlessLeader  (16-08-2012)

  10. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    652
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    That's a pretty poor attitude to have. It's pretty easy to put ONLY recyclables in the recycling, if you're unsure, leave it out. So just because you'd get in trouble for putting garbage in the recycling, you'd rather not recycle ANYTHING?

    And as for the charity thing, as PP said, they are volunteers, they get alot of donations to sort through, it just makes their job a hell of a lot easier if they get stuff they can just put straight onto the shelves instore. Again, just because they won't accept your ripped clothes, now you just chuck everything out, even stuff that's still useful??
    I'm not talking about "garbage".. I'm talking about rinsing them out.. putting stuff in there people legitimately think is recycable. People who deliberately put garbage in there just because their bin is full should be punished.

    As for the Vinnies thing.. it was more than just ripped clothes.. it was other stuff that most people would've thought they could put in there and didn't realise. Instead of going off like they did maybe they should have made an ad advising people of what they can give to them and what they can't.. or sent out a flyer.

    I don't really support organisations like that anyway. I'd prefer to support something else. I used to support them until I saw a friend go out buy an expensive phone, a wii for her daubhter plus a few games and then go to the salvos for a 50 dollar food voucher =\

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,219
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post

    As for the Vinnies thing.. it was more than just ripped clothes.. it was other stuff that most people would've thought they could put in there and didn't realise. Instead of going off like they did maybe they should have made an ad advising people of what they can give to them and what they can't.. or sent out a flyer.
    True, I've never really seen any criteria advertised as to what to donate or not donate.

    As for you not supporting these charities, I can tell you that (in Sydney at least) Vinnies hands out vouchers willy-nilly to everyone regardless of whether they are scamming or not, however Salvo's are more thorough with their criteria of who to help and are better at helping only those who genuinely need it. So I would donate to the Salvo's over Vinnies.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Do you HAVE a recycling scheme? SPINOFF!
    By Ffrenchknickers in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-08-2012, 16:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!