View Poll Results: Do you recycle properly?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I recycle 100% properly

5 19.23%
  • Ok, SOME stuff slips in there unwashed, unstapled etc.

12 46.15%
  • I never rinse or remove anything

8 30.77%
  • No, the recycle bin often has general household stuff in it

1 3.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Your Recycling Bin

Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    That is a good thing!

I used to be in the city...I just can't get used to throwing recyclables in the normal bin.
    That would drive me nuts too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3 strikes and you're out? I heard that they want to fine people for doing stuff like that.. to me I'd just not recycle anything. Surely they'd be better off like a PP said their council does and just use a machine to wash everything out?

I mean it's a bit like Vinnies complaining about the stuff people leave there... (Yes some people are slack and when you leave a broken television there than what's the point?) but I remember they were complaining about clothes that had a minor rip that could easily be sewn up and other things that people wouldn't realise. Now I don't donate anything to them. I just throw it all in the bin =\

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    3 strikes and you're out? I heard that they want to fine people for doing stuff like that.. to me I'd just not recycle anything. Surely they'd be better off like a PP said their council does and just use a machine to wash everything out?

I mean it's a bit like Vinnies complaining about the stuff people leave there... (Yes some people are slack and when you leave a broken television there than what's the point?) but I remember they were complaining about clothes that had a minor rip that could easily be sewn up and other things that people wouldn't realise. Now I don't donate anything to them. I just throw it all in the bin =\
    St Vinnies is mostly run by volunteers though who don't have time to sew/wash everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    That would drive me nuts too
    Yes. It's awful!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Your Recycling Bin

Option 2. Most gets rinsed, all lids come off etc etc

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm anal about it. My mum's town has yet to get them in, so she is clueless. Drove me batty when she spent a month here. She would stick the plastic bottles in the normal bin, or put them in recycling without rinsing. Yep, that milk carton will be pleasant after 2 weeks in a hot bin...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 'single bin recycling' where we only have one bin and it all gets sorted at the depot. Bags get broken open, magnets pull out the metals, tumblers remove the paper etc - it's all pretty cool.

In saying that - I try and make sure that it's all clean and not in a bag unless it has to be.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's a pretty poor attitude to have. It's pretty easy to put ONLY recyclables in the recycling, if you're unsure, leave it out. So just because you'd get in trouble for putting garbage in the recycling, you'd rather not recycle ANYTHING?

And as for the charity thing, as PP said, they are volunteers, they get alot of donations to sort through, it just makes their job a hell of a lot easier if they get stuff they can just put straight onto the shelves instore. Again, just because they won't accept your ripped clothes, now you just chuck everything out, even stuff that's still useful??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    That's a pretty poor attitude to have. It's pretty easy to put ONLY recyclables in the recycling, if you're unsure, leave it out. So just because you'd get in trouble for putting garbage in the recycling, you'd rather not recycle ANYTHING?

And as for the charity thing, as PP said, they are volunteers, they get alot of donations to sort through, it just makes their job a hell of a lot easier if they get stuff they can just put straight onto the shelves instore. Again, just because they won't accept your ripped clothes, now you just chuck everything out, even stuff that's still useful??
    I'm not talking about "garbage".. I'm talking about rinsing them out.. putting stuff in there people legitimately think is recycable. People who deliberately put garbage in there just because their bin is full should be punished.

As for the Vinnies thing.. it was more than just ripped clothes.. it was other stuff that most people would've thought they could put in there and didn't realise. Instead of going off like they did maybe they should have made an ad advising people of what they can give to them and what they can't.. or sent out a flyer.

I don't really support organisations like that anyway. I'd prefer to support something else. I used to support them until I saw a friend go out buy an expensive phone, a wii for her daubhter plus a few games and then go to the salvos for a 50 dollar food voucher =\

Thanks
    Reviews

As for the Vinnies thing.. it was more than just ripped clothes.. it was other stuff that most people would've thought they could put in there and didn't realise. Instead of going off like they did maybe they should have made an ad advising people of what they can give to them and what they can't.. or sent out a flyer.
    True, I've never really seen any criteria advertised as to what to donate or not donate.

As for you not supporting these charities, I can tell you that (in Sydney at least) Vinnies hands out vouchers willy-nilly to everyone regardless of whether they are scamming or not, however Salvo's are more thorough with their criteria of who to help and are better at helping only those who genuinely need it. So I would donate to the Salvo's over Vinnies.