+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    A 'friend' of mine had a bub recently and said oh we'll no one vaccinated these days, it's old fashioned. Theres hardly any diseases left anyway.

I was dumbfounded.

So yes, in a way.
    That sounds uneducated rather than following a trend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    do you think it has become 'trendy' (hate that word...but you know what I mean) ....to not vax?

If a concentrated number of people in one area not vaxxing is it because word has spread - or due to other reasons?
    The whole correlation vs causation thing...
    I think That is some cases yes.

There are some groups that do just follow the trend without doing their own proper research.

I had a friend a few years back make the decision not to vaxx based on Internet advice. Her bubs ended up contracting whooping cough and almost dying.

It really shook her to the core and the child (and new brother) have now been vaccinated.

I respect absolutely the right for parents to choose against vaxing, but I believe it should be an informed choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    That sounds uneducated rather than following a trend.
    She knows the benefits of vaxxing.

She got this info off a group on the net apparantly.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I just thought I would add- the reason why varicella or chicken pox has entered this discussion is because as of this year the vaccine for measles is no longer just measles, mumps and rubella. It is now MMRV Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella- which I think is a bit absurd considering the amount of people who site concerns with using the triple live vaccine and base this on their decision not to have this vaccine.
    'Hmm the CO are increasing! The amount of people uptaking the MMR vaccine is low- lets add another live virus to the vaccine and see if that makes them take it up' seems a bit to me
    *like*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. When these diseases start rampaging through communities and affecting those who can least cope with them, I hope all the non-vaxxers are happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchypoo View Post
    Yep. When these diseases start rampaging through communities and affecting those who can least cope with them, I hope all the non-vaxxers are happy.
    Umm yeah we'll be throwing parties

Everyone does what they think is best for their child/family. No one benefits by people getting ill and no one vaxing or not wants others to get ill.

It's just that vaxxing is a very grey area, you damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post

Everyone does what they think is best for their child/family. No one benefits by people getting ill and no one vaxing or not wants others to get ill.

It's just that vaxxing is a very grey area, you damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Yep!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some of the highest non vax rates are starting to be in areas with highly educated middle class, like the northern beaches. I find that really interesting.

And this cluster have involved immigrants, but that is only half of them so far, so half of those who have contracted them are in fact people from here, who aren't vaccinated.

And whooping cough outbreak started in the norther rivers - which is very much an attachment parenting - for want of a better word hippy/crunchy area. I don't mean that attachment parents are the only ones to blame at all, but it does seem to be a group that doesn't vaccinate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post

Um yeah - aren't they called pox parties? And wasn't there measles parties being advertised on facebook recently, it made the news. And people on bubhub have actually said how wonderful these kinds of parties are in the past, so it isn'tlike it doesn't happen.