+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    But these kids are vaccinated! The article specifically states that they simply didnt get the boosters. These are children who mostly were born in another country and immigrated after their first dose and didn't get a second for whatever reason. This isn't about those who chose not to vaccinate their children at all, that has been thrown into the article as a bonus
    The first dose of MMR does not convey strong immunity on its own, hence the requirement for the second dose. It's not really a "booster", it's part of a course just like the DTP at 4 months and 6 months are not "boosters".

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As the article says, Measles was wiped out in Australia due to immunisation and there is no longer wild measles in this country.

HOWEVER because the levels of immunisation have dropped so much, when it is brought here from overseas (in this case Thailand) it spreads throughout the community.

Measles is not harmless, it kills kids all the time and babies cannot be vaxxed until they are 1 and not fully vaxxed until they are four.

This disease was wiped out in Australia, its return is due to those people who choose not to immunise . Measles is hundreds of times more likely to hurt your kids than MMR vaccine. How many kids are hospitalised or die from vaccines versus how many kids are hospitalised and die from measles.

Seems to be a general lack of education in the community about vaccine risk versus disease risk and this is truly sad and scary.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 17-08-2012 at 07:35.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-08-2012),beebs  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabycakes View Post
    Thankfully vaxxing is still a parents choice to do or not. I really wish we could all sit down, take a big breath and accept that different parenting choices work for different families and that that's ok- rather than sitting on our opposing high horses looking on each others choices.

Vax, non vax, part vaxed, homeopathically vaxed, not fully vaxed for medical reasons- why fight about it when at the end of the day we are all trying to do what's best for our kids
    While I'm very pro-vaccination, I don't (at this stage) think it should be a requirement. I do think that there needs to be much more work put into education, and also into eliminating the demonstrably false information put out by antivax groups. I suspect that if parents were truly aware of the facts, then the rate of conscientious objection would be considerably lower than the ~2% it is today.

I will take issue with "homoeopathically vaxed". That's an oxymoron. There is no such thing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Google has a lot to answer for…as does playboy bunny Jenny macarthy and corrupt ex scientist Wakefield.

Sadly the posts i am reading here are indicating that alot of the people who choose not vaccinate do not even understand vaccinations - I suppose you don't know what you don't you know - so essentially that is why we put our trust in those who actually study medicine not people who know how to search for anti vaccine propoganda.

At uni last year they used the example of parents googling and reading what they thought was scientific evidence to make their decisions and specifically talked about the immunisation issue - and ultimately you need to understand science and statistics to interpret studies - which means unless you have studied statistics at university level you probably wouldnt really understand the very studies you are basing your decisions on. Its just the way it is…and for those basing on gut feel - well that is not a reliable method when it comes to medicine. Medicine is based on facts not feelings - feelings are not reliable and are tainted with our personal opinion and experience and NOT the world view or greater knowledge of a topic that science can provide.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 17-08-2012 at 08:05.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-08-2012),beebs  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    the posts i am reading here are indicating that alot of the people who choose not vaccinate do not even understand vaccinations
    Can you please point out which posts you are referring to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Quote Originally Posted by bellibean View Post
    How do I protect my newborn baby from the non vaccinated? Don't leave the house for 12 months?

Should be the other way around....

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Yes the science appears to be quite a joke to some of you. I assume you are non vaxers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Google has a lot to answer for…as does playboy bunny Jenny macarthy and corrupt ex scientist Wakefield.

Sadly the posts i am reading here are indicating that alot of the people who choose not vaccinate do not even understand vaccinations - I suppose you don't know what you don't you know - so essentially that is why we put our trust in those who actually study medicine not people who know how to search for anti vaccine propoganda.

At uni last year they used the example of parents googling and reading what they thought was scientific evidence to make their decisions and specifically talked about the immunisation issue - and ultimately you need to understand science and statistics to interpret studies - which means unless you have studied statistics at university level you probably wouldnt really understand the very studies you are basing your decisions on. Its just the way it is…and for those basing on gut feel - well that is not a reliable method when it comes to medicine. Medicine is based on facts not feelings - feelings are not reliable and are tainted with our personal opinion and experience and NOT the world view or greater knowledge of a topic that science can provide.
    Please show me where?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Can you please point out which posts you are referring to?
    I wont do that - because that would be targeting certain members and my personal experience with that is that people complain to the administrators and the ramifcations are annoying to say the least. So it is suffice to say that I personally can see (and a number of other posters have pointed these out, if you wish to read over the thread again) there is a general lack of even basic knowledge of vaccinations. Jut take a look at the number of times posters have had to respond with answers to questions about what vaccination terms mean or what the rates of disease incidence are or even the effects of the disease itself - if you need proof of my statement that is.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 17-08-2012 at 08:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wont do that - because that would be targeting certain members and my personal experience with that is that people complain to the administrators. So it is suffice to say that I personally can see (and a number of other posters have pointed these out if you wish to read over the thread again) there is a general lack of even basic knowledge of vaccinations.
    We must be reading it differently then. I have not seen anyone get info from google or quote wakefield.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

OM  (17-08-2012)