+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Oh I thought you were non vax for medical reasons. Doh, I'm getting all the stories confused!
    No, delayed, and some she can't have, but I consider myself lucky that she is able to have what she's had. I imagine complete non-vaxers would be feeling pretty bad if they are lumped in with anti-vaxers and told they contributed to the problem.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vax rates are dropping in Australia, and it is being driven by the anti vax movement, the whooping cough epidemic started in the northern rivers which is an anti vax area.

We can argue semantics all you like, but at the end of the day if people aren't vaccinating then these diseases will come back. And they are coming back. It is happening. Someone did a poll on here a couple of weeks back saying do you vax/delay/or not at all and heaps of people ticked not at all.
    This is so terrifying. Anti-vaxxers are a threat to the entire community and need to be stopped, because their ignorance threatens us all. I tire and tire of hearing people say they've researched and decided vaccines are dangerous for their children bc it's a crock.

Imagine - if anti-vaxxers had been allowed to have their way, we would still have smallpox in the world. Vaccines should be mandatory now, with exceptions made for the TINY minority who can't have them, just as smallpox was back then. Imagine - we could wipe out measles, mumps, rubella, polio - but the political will just isn't there. How sad.

Below is what the world was like before smallpox was eradicated. From the WHO website:

Smallpox

Historical significance

Smallpox is an acute contagious disease caused by variola virus, a member of the orthopoxvirus family.
    Smallpox, which is believed to have originated over 3,000 years ago in India or Egypt, is one of the most devastating diseases known to humanity. For centuries, repeated epidemics swept across continents, decimating populations and changing the course of history.
    In some ancient cultures, smallpox was such a major killer of infants that custom forbade the naming of a newborn until the infant had caught the disease and proved it would survive.
    Smallpox killed Queen Mary II of England, Emperor Joseph I of Austria, King Luis I of Spain, Tsar Peter II of Russia, Queen Ulrika Elenora of Sweden, and King Louis XV of France.
    The disease, for which no effective treatment was ever developed, killed as many as 30% of those infected. Between 65–80% of survivors were marked with deep pitted scars (pockmarks), most prominent on the face.
    Blindness was another complication. In 18th century Europe, a third of all reported cases of blindness was due to smallpox. In a survey conducted in Viet Nam in 1898, 95% of adolescent children were pockmarked and nine-tenths of all blindness was ascribed to smallpox.
    As late as the 18th century, smallpox killed every 10th child born in Sweden and France. During the same century, every 7th child born in Russia died from smallpox.
    Edward Jenner's demonstration, in 1798, that inoculation with cowpox could protect against smallpox brought the first hope that the disease could be controlled.
    In the early 1950s – 150 years after the introduction of vaccination – an estimated 50 million cases of smallpox occurred in the world each year, a figure which fell to around 10–15 million by 1967 because of vaccination.
    In 1967, when WHO launched an intensified plan to eradicate smallpox, the "ancient scourge" threatened 60% of the world's population, killed every fourth victim, scarred or blinded most survivors, and eluded any form of treatment.
    Through the success of the global eradication campaign, smallpox was finally pushed back to the horn of Africa and then to a single last natural case, which occurred in Somalia in 1977. A fatal laboratory-acquired case occurred in the United Kingdom in 1978. The global eradication of smallpox was certified, based on intense verification activities in countries, by a commission of eminent scientists in December 1979 and subsequently endorsed by the World Health Assembly in 1980.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    missie - this is from the CDC website

"How effective is MMR vaccine?
    More than 95% of the people who receive a single dose of MMR will develop immunity to all 3 viruses. A second vaccine dose gives immunity to almost all of those who did not respond to the first dose."

Where did you find your info from? Is it the epidemic that is happening now??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an mmr booster when dd1 had hers. I had the adult dpt booster last year. I also had rubella and mumps (simultaneously!) as a child, and have had chicken pox as a child. Know that doesn't cover everything but I am pretty happy with my immunity. Oh plus I do the flu fax each year through work.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

My children are not vaccinated because my intuition tells me not to do it, I am not ignorant of the risks it places on herd immunity, I'm not ignorant of the risk it places on immune suppressant people (my own mother is immune suppressant due to medication), I'm not ignorant of the risks of VPD (my cities immunization clinic made sure of this when I went to see them) and I dont believe vaccinations are some conspiracy theory designed to control our minds!

At the end of the day I have to do what I think is best for my children I don't see this decision as any different to other mothers choices.

P.S beebs, I'm the one with the step brother who had the awful reaction to the mmr.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

OM  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    P.S beebs, I'm the one with the step brother who had the awful reaction to the mmr.
    Yes, I remember.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

How do I protect my newborn baby from the non vaccinated? Don't leave the house for 12 months?

Should be the other way around....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bellibean For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by bellibean View Post
    Don't leave the house for 12 months?

sure thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately the very loud and aggressive anti vaxxers do no one any favours - especially those that cannot vax for valid reasons. You are right, we shouldn't label them all the same. But they are the majority, and you are the minority in the non vax group.
    Define Anti-vax (what are these majority people you refer to)? It could be because it's early morning and I've no sleep but I'm not quite understanding who (what type of person) you are referring to as the loud and aggressive anti-vaxxers.

I have to wonder do you mean on here? Cause I've not witnessed more than perhaps 1 or 2 people in my whole time on BH that have been like that. Majority are pro choice on here rather than anti. Actually same for people I know IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by bellibean View Post
    How do I protect my newborn baby from the non vaccinated? Don't leave the house for 12 months?

Oooh I've always wanted to be a hermit I can live my life playing WOW (yep that's what I'll do) and ordering take out (delivered of course). Ooooh and don't start me on my ebay shopping addiction :P So when can I start? And this is all funded by you I presume right?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

Rbottom  (17-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Well of course babies aren't fully immunised and what defines fully immunised? You can be 'not fully immunised' yet immunised for measles, yes?

In a galaxy far far away....
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Exactly...?
    They mean not fully immunised against measles. MMR is a 2-dose programme, so that means all cases had either had either zero doses or only one dose.