+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Quote Originally Posted by onionskin View Post
    not all delayed vaccers are anti. I am quite the opposite.

I will take my sons paediatric cardiologist advice on this one though.
    Sounds as though you have medical reasons not to vax to schedule, I don't think anyone judges you for that! Having kids will illnesses and conditions meaning they can't have their vaxes is all the more reason to have our kids vaxed- so herd immunity is kept up and protects kids and others who cannot have their vaccinations,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    It says school age AND babies under 12 months just to clarify
    Yep, and those from other countries who had simply not had the booster. Not sounding too much like an anti-vax stand to me. How many were actually simply anti-vax families?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They said half were immigrants, and the other half were locals who hadn't been vaccinated. I obviously can't speak for those parents, but in this situation non vax and anti vax - doesn't matter the term, their kids have ended up with measles.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yep, and those from other countries who had simply not had the booster. Not sounding too much like an anti-vax stand to me. How many were actually simply anti-vax families?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a current outbreak in Ireland, and it says that 88% of those infected in Cork have never been vaccinated.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking17.html

“Most of the children infected in Cork are teenagers and 88 per cent of cases have never received any dose of MMR vaccine. This large and rapidly spreading outbreak is a major concern not only to people in west Cork but for the whole of Ireland,” Dr Kelleher said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I read that in another article. Hold on a sec and I will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The article doesnt say anything about half this and half that??

In a galaxy far far away....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That is true with whooping cough - but then again, the vaccinations for WC only last between 5-9 years, it is a bugger of a disease, and doesn't look like there is anyway to stop it. Whereas vaccinations for measles - if you have had the 2 doses are effective for life in 95% of people.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Hasn't it been shown that some of these diseases have actually mutated into new strains - was that somehow tied in to routine vaccination? What's the long term solution - to just create a vaccine to every disease and every variation of every disease? I don't know too much about this, but it is interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    They said half were immigrants, and the other half were locals who hadn't been vaccinated. I obviously can't speak for those parents, but in this situation non vax and anti vax - doesn't matter the term, their kids have ended up with measles.
    Of the half who were locals, how many were unable to be vaxed, how many are from anti-vaxing families, and how many were too young to be vaxed, or had not completed the schedule?

Anti-vax and non-vax are not the same thing at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Instead of tying centrelink payments to kids vax statements, why not tie them to the parents as well? Why aren't adults routinely offered free vaccinations? Just things to query.
    I agree with you on that sentiment! But I hear about so many unvaccinated adults, yet I don't know of any - everyone Ive talked about it to is up to date. But then we know a lot of parents of young kids so I guess having a baby is a reminder to update yourself. Well I went to my doc and asked about it before I started TTC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    double post.. but meant to say apart from those who are CO to vaxxing obviously in my last statement...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Here we go, measles outbreak in Campbeltown and all the children involved were not fu

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Of the half who were locals, how many were unable to be vaxed, how many are from anti-vaxing families, and how many were too young to be vaxed, or had not completed the schedule?

Anti-vax and non-vax are not the same thing at all.
    I don't think beebs was saying they were the same thing just that the end result was the same- they got a VPD.

I just strongly feel that if you CAN be vaxxed then you should be, for your protection and that of the community. Adults and children. Redness is not, IMO, a good enough reason not to vax. Neither is any other minor reaction. Parents can opt to vax kids at the hospital just in case there is a stronger reaction.
    If there is a medical reason to delay or not vax that's fine, and hopefully the fact that my family is vaxxed offers some protection, via herd immunity, to those who are unable to receive vaccinations themselves.
    I have never, ever seen one shred of evidence to not vaccinate in general. I have, on the other hand, read and read about numerous studies widely accepted in both the scientific and medical communities to support vaccinating.
    Yes, some people have bad reactions. But numbers prove you are more likely to have a bad reaction from the actual disease. These diseases have killed huge numbers in the past or caused life long health problems for countless people, and we have the ability to severely minimise the chances of catching these illnesses. Groups like the AVN and similar organisations push anti vax rhetoric and false information (like that SIDS did not exist before vaccines, vaccines cause autism/cancer etc) and I cannot for the life of me understand their motive in doing so.
    Sorry, bit off topic there! /end rant