+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newborns - sleep promotes more sleep - do you agree?

I've been given conflicting advice regarding how to promote more sleep in a newborn and set them up for good sleeping habits. Some people tell me that the more they sleep, the more they will sleep (hope that makes sense!). Others tell me to try to keep bub awake more during the day so that he's more inclined to sleep at night, but then others tell me that this theory will over stimulate and upset him rather than relaxing him.

Love to hear your experiences!

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I prefer to go with the flow, let them sleep how they want to sleep. I don't like trying to keep a newborn awake, I think it's a bit mean, if they're tired, they're tired. I know it ticks me off when DH tries to keep me awake when I'm tired!

I think the idea of keeping a baby awake so that they sleep better at night usually ends up in with an overtired cranky baby. I'd rather have a happy awake baby at any time, than that!

But yes, i do think that, for most babies, the more they sleep, the better they sleep. My DD slept for the first 6 weeks pretty much, wake to feed and then back to sleep. I just let her find her natural rhythm and it wasn't long before she got the gist that night time is for sleeping more solidly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

cam11  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I do agree with the notion that sleep induces sleep. Only because it has for my 2 babies. I find that if DS misses a sleep for whatever reason he is overtired and hard to put down.
    This is from personal experience only and I guess all babies differ.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to diesal444 For This Useful Post:

cam11  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I found if I tried to keep a newborn awake, they end up really overtired and then can't sleep. I am a fan of gentle routine and trying to get them to sleep at night and awake in the day, but not forcing them into it, more likely gentle coaxing. Try and keep them awake an extra 10 minutes etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the baby is well rested, they'll be happier when they're awake. That said, in the early days I never found a real routine happening. Basically they fed, were awake for a little while, back to sleep (hopefully!!) then fed again. That went on day and night. But then you'd have a day here or there where they didn't seem to sleep much at all which was tough.

After a while a bit of a pattern starts to emerge.

For me, it was fantastic once they had longer sleeps during the day because, generally, it meant they had better sleeps at night as well.

I don't think it's a good idea to try to keep a newborn awake during the day - that sleep is incredibly important for them.

It's all a bit of a bit of a learning curve - but in my experience, if they're tired and grizzly, they need to sleep. They're not "bored", certainly not as a newborn (I've had people suggest that), they either need to be fed or they need to go to sleep. If they're overstimulated it just gets harder to get them to sleep (like if you have really busy day with lots happening) - I found the day after these types of days were really hard with an overtired overstimulated baby.

You'll work out what's best for you and your baby.

Edited to add: I also don't think you should get too concerned if they're still waking a lot at night to be fed (especially if breastfed) as this is the norm for newborns. None of mine slept through the night for the first 12 months. My 2 girls were 2 before they slept through. Now they're all GREAT sleepers. Thank goodness!
    Last edited by Clarabelle; 15-08-2012 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the other posters- generally, the more they sleep, the more they sleep- I try to avoid too much stimulation with a newborn as it can be more than they can handle at that stage. I have a 3 week old at the moment- when she stirs in the day time, I feed her in the day light, try and have her open her eyes for a moment, then I change her and she goes back to bed- she is only now wtarting to have any 'awake time' at all before she goes back to bed. At night, I leave the lights off as much as possible in the hope she will go straight back to the bassinette. We are going with the flow with her and I hope she will eventually form a nice routine for herself. At the moment, if I tried to keep her awake, she would be overtired and stimulated beyond what she can handle and would find it harder to get back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I do believe that sleep begets sleep. That's why I use any method avail to get my babies to sleep and keep them asleep till 6mths. Once in a habit of sleeping i then encourage sleeping by themselves. Overtired babies and toddlers are more work to get to sleep.

As newborns (under 12wks) I feed to sleep and keep them asleep via the carrier or pram. If they are amiable I try to then encourage resettling via patting or shushing. If not I go back to the carrier/pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sleep definitely begets sleep. The only reason I would wake my dd was a newborn was when I had to go out (which with a ds in Kinder was most days at least once). But otherwise if she was tired, then it's bedtime.

Probably from 8 months I would avoid a late afternoon nap and keep her awake til her 'usual' bedtime of 7pm if at all possible. Yet, yesterday she was SO overtired that I let her go to sleep at 3:30pm and she woke at 5pm and was asleep again by 7:45pm, so it worked fine!

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with PPers, I know my 7 week old DS is very unsettled and impossible to get to sleep when he's overtired! However if he's well rested he is much happier and goes to sleep easily! I try not to let him be awake for much more than an hour at a time, I wrap and cuddle him when we get to about the hour mark so he knows it's time to go to sleep

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Newborns - sleep promotes more sleep - do you agree?

I think so with how hard it is to settle an overtired over stimulated newborn.

I also think if a baby is sleeping more they are probably more tired so I'm not sure it's exactly cause and effect. Like when jasper was a baby his normal bedtime was 7pm & up at 5-6am but if he was tired enough to go down at 5:30-6pm he'd likely sleep in till 6-7am but I think he must have just been having a tired day or catching up or something..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub