+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default High blood pressure and induction

Hi all,

I do not post often but I find bub hub an amazing resource of information.
    I am after some advice.

I am 38 weeks pregnant today. 1 week ago, my blood pressure rocketed at a midwife appointment so I got admitted to hospital overnight. I have no other PE symptoms, except from my uric acid being slightly high. Levels of protein in my urine vary (1-3).

I got put on medication while at the hospital and they kept my BP down. I got discharged on Tuesday. Had monitoring on Friday and everything was fine.

Yesterday I saw a doctor at the clinic (I am normally followed by midwives at the birth centre) and although my BP is still down, he asked me to come back for monitoring on Friday and said that we will then most likely book for induction.

Now if my BP is under control and I continue to show no other signs of PE, why induce?
    He told me that was because BP is unpredictable and could creep up without warning.
    I am thinking of pushing back and ask to wait for at least my due date before talking induction.

Am I taking risks by doing this? Is there something I don't see?

Anyone else had been induced due to high BP only controlled by meds?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced at 38 weeks due to high bp. I also had no other signs of PE and was admitted during week 37 for about 5 days.

I was on methyl dopa and nefedipine to keep it under control.
    The dr's induced me they said because leaving it later to wait and see if I developed PE was more risky for both of us than being induced. Once you get past 38 weeks it can come on very quickly and suddenly and they wanted to avoid the possibility.

My BP also kept rising and rising no matter how many meds I was put on but there were no other symptoms of PE. The signs can go away and then return rapidly.
    Last edited by babyla; 15-08-2012 at 08:52.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

sydney1980  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I was induced at 38 weeks due to high bp. I also had no other signs of PE and was admitted during week 37 for about 5 days.

I was on methyl dopa and nefedipine to keep it under control.
    The dr's induced me they said because leaving it later to wait and see if I developed PE was more risky for both of us than being induced. Once you get past 38 weeks it can come on very quickly and suddenly and they wanted to avoid the possibility.

My BP also kept rising and rising no matter how many meds I was put on but there were no other symptoms of PE. The signs can go away and then return rapidly.
    Thanks Babyla, can I ask how did your induction go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was induced at 38+4, blood pressure was high from 33 weeks but had no symptoms of PE. I was put on highest dose of methydopa (?) but blood pressure was still slowly going up.

I ended up having an emergency c-section as DS went into distress (due to knot in cord, which apparently is rare) not because of blood pressure.

I was having blood pressure monitoring done twice a week from 33 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

I was on blood pressure meds and bed rest from 30 weeks. I made it all the way until 39 weeks when I was induced due to PE.

If I could have, I would have avoided the induction. It was very painful from the first second I had gels inserted. DS was delivered with the ventouse.

Can you just go in for regular monitoring?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by withloveandlimits View Post
    I was on blood pressure meds and bed rest from 30 weeks. I made it all the way until 39 weeks when I was induced due to PE.

If I could have, I would have avoided the induction. It was very painful from the first second I had gels inserted. DS was delivered with the ventouse.

Can you just go in for regular monitoring?
    That is what I will suggest on Friday. I was hospitalised when my BP was 170/110 but since the meds, all readings were under 140/90.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney1980 View Post
    Thanks Babyla, can I ask how did your induction go?
    It ended with a healthy baby and a healthy me.

I did end up having an emergency c-section - I only dilated 3cm after nearly 24 hours. I had an epidural after about 20 hours and I also had an over stimulated uterus due to the prostin gel - this is apparently very unusual but meant that I was contracting continually without a break.

It wasn't a great experience, but really for me the most important thing was that we were both fine in the end. The hospital staff were amazing and I had the most amazing anaesthetists and surgeons - they were so caring and made me feel very safe.

If I had my time over I would ask for the epidural much, much earlier - there was no need for me to continue on for so long in such pain and it really did make a world of difference.

Next time, I will not get induced I will be electing for a c-section. But I also have recurring blood pressure so going past 38 weeks really isn't a good option for me.

Good luck and remember the most important thing is soon you will get to meet your baby

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

sydney1980  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a similar story to the OP and my obstetrician asked me to buy my own BP monitor and measure it myself at home many times per day and to contact her if the bottom number crept above 90 for more than an hour or so. It did a couple of times but always went back down again when I rested. She was going to induce me at 40 weeks but thankfully DS arrived all on his own in the early hours of Monday morning

Good luck! Perhaps you could offer to do your own BP monitoring and keep your dr posted?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryGirl77 For This Useful Post:

sydney1980  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    I had a similar story to the OP and my obstetrician asked me to buy my own BP monitor and measure it myself at home many times per day and to contact her if the bottom number crept above 90 for more than an hour or so. It did a couple of times but always went back down again when I rested. She was going to induce me at 40 weeks but thankfully DS arrived all on his own in the early hours of Monday morning

Good luck! Perhaps you could offer to do your own BP monitoring and keep your dr posted?
    Thanks, that's another thing I could suggest. I just feel that if my BP is fine, I would Iike to give our baby the chance to come when he/she's ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    My BP was perfect up until 37 weeks, then it skyrocketed. I was put on Methyldopa but my BP did not change. I didn't have any symptoms of PE like protein in my urine or blurry vision. My GP wanted me induced at 39 weeks but the silly doctor at the hospital sent me away and told me that because my arm is bigger, the BP cuff was too small that's why I was getting a higher reading (BULLSH!T!) My Gp put the bigger cuff on my arm and it slid off and gave me a WAY lower reading.

I eventually got induced at 40+5, all went well