+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low morphology - iui or ivf ? What is the better option

We have just had DH's sperm tested and the results on his morphology were not good, 1% on the kruger scale. Our FS suggests we try iui and after researching have found some info that says iui is pointless with low morphology as it will not penetrate the egg! Is a better option to go with ivf straight up or seek another opinion. We are at a cross roads as to where we go from here as I am also a pcos sufferer and luckily adoption is a big possibility for us where we are right now.
    I just don't want to take the unecessary road and go through the expense of iui only to know it will probably not work.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Low morphology - iui or ivf ? What is the better option

Hi TTC!

We are also being treated for mfi (100% abnormal sperm). Our FS has recommended ivf icsi for us. We had great fertilisation rates with icsi.

Did FS give you the specifics as to why iui would work? Maybe a second opinion is worthwhile?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Low morphology - iui or ivf ? What is the better option

Hey dancingbutterfly. Thanks for your reply. My FS suggested we try iui as they can sort the good sperm from the bad ones and then insert directly into the fallopian tubes increasing the chances of fertilization. I agree with you, I am going to make an appointment with another FS for another opinion. I saw a gynae before this FS who looked at DH results and said he had super sperm. Worthwhile shopping around with these things.
    How are you tracking with icsi?
    Sorry I cant see your signature on my phone so not sure if you are utd

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner had 1% morphology and we managed a couple of good grade fertilisations but no pregnancy success. Fertilisation can happen. This was using ICSI and PICSi, my greater concern however was his very high DNA fragmentation rate of 44%. This is really high and I haven't been able to get much info on this from my clinic or online forums. What it means, that the dna in the sperm breaks down at around day 4 or 5 after fertilisation..about 44% of them in our case will do this. Today I went through epu and had 5 follicles removed..this time I am using Donor Sponor. News tomorrow...9am.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low morphology - iui or ivf ? What is the better option

We had 1% morphology as well and were scheduled to do iui before getting these results but our FS said we'd be wasting time as the chances whilst higher than TTC naturally are still very low so we switched that cycle to ICSI instead and got pregnant first go.

We'd been trying naturally for a loooong time before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would think IVF/ICSI would be the better way to go. IUI success is patchy at the best of times and standard IVF the sperm still need to penetrate the egg on their own. With ICSI they pick the best ones and individually fertilise each egg.

We have a super low sperm count with low morphology on the ones that DH has and use ICSI.