+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help me toilet train my stubborn 3 yr old

Ds is 3, I have been attempting toilet training for a year. He has no interest in it.
    I have tried everything I can think of. he is quite happy to walk around with undies full of poo, or soaking wet pants. ( he doesn't like to wear nappies much)
    I don't know what to try next, I am so sick of trying to get him to use a toilet or potty. I'm sick of people making comments on him not being trained,
    Any advice on how to get things working? How late is too late to be toilet training?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    He sounds to me like he's not ready. And if he's not ready, then he's not ready.

Tell people if they are asking that you are waiting for Summer. And leave it for now.
    But don't stress, it will be easy when he's ready, I promise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

daysta112  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

It doesn't sound like he is ready, and they usually don't 'grasp' it until they are ready.
    I know that's a frustrating thing to hear, I hated being told it when I was trying to train DD1 for #2s (she was really good with wees) but honestly it's just the way it is, unfortunately.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

daysta112  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you think he's ready - a competition works well.

Draw a target on a table tennis ball, drop it into the water and get him to pee on it and make it spin etc.

And, If you can stomach it, draw other back of the bowl above the water line with bath crayons and see if he can pee them off

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going through the same thing with my DS who is 3. He won't sit on the potty or toilet at all. I have tried a reward chart with stickers , buying spiderman undies (his favorite) even bribes, nothing has worked. I think he will be in undies forever. I have stopped trying at the moment because it is going nowhere, but i know what you mean about people asking you if he is toilet trained yet, it is so frustrating and sometimes i feel like it is my fault which i know it's not.Let me know if you find something that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As biscotti said if he's not ready he's not ready. Going to the toilet is really a very difficult thing for a child's brain to manage. The child has to be aware that the pain/discomfort they are feeling in their tummy means a full bladder or that they need to do poo. They need to recognise this in enough time to get to the toilet and take off necessary clothes (which is not easy in many different outfits - eg. jeans with buttons). Of course the logistics of getting to the toilet can be difficult too - are they on a chair when they realise they need to go? Or what if the toilet door is shut - can they open it? What is someone else is on the toilet? What if they can't get up to the toilet seat? (many children don't like potty's - my ds never used the one I bought him). Then, the child needs to know when they are done on the toilet and it's time to get off. Of course bottom wiping, clothes putting on & hand washing round out the whole experience.

Overall my point is that it's a LOT for little children to master and a problem at any point along the line means toilet training won't work. In my opinion if a child isn't ready, then there's no point in pushing it. Lots of 3yo boys are not TTed. Tell annoying people that you are waiting for summer when he can run around with just undies on (or nothing) and it will be easier.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had the same problem with my 3 yr old and everyone said he'd do it when he was ready but I was impatient, embarrassed and didn't really believe them. Thought he'd be in nappies forever. He is very stubborn. One day at 3.5 yrs old he decided he wanted to do it and he did. No 2s took a bit longer and night time training now at 4 which has been easy. Don't worry it will happen soon :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 2 boys . My 18 month old is ready and wees on the toilet each night. I'm holding him off a bit as I'm about to give birth ( 2 weeks) my 3.5 flat out refuses and will not sit on potty or toilet no matter what. 18 month old does not even need treats he just wants the high five! So they are all different. It's annoying though , I'm fed up of 3.5 years of pooey nappies !!!