+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Frozen veg & my 2.5yo

I only buy Australian grown ones, except spinach- as previously mentioned, it all seems to some from Scandinavia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    They did studies into this a few years ago and found they were often more nutritious and fresher than the 'fresh' ones from the market, so absolutely suitable.
    And anything labelled 'snap frozen' is even better. I've always got a variety of frozen vegies on hand for family meals - and I'm extremely fussy about nutrition.

Some brands are better than others in terms of overall taste and appearance, but frozen vegies are a really good way to get some plant matter into your diet.

Generally speaking, canned vegetables aren't as healthy as they often contain various additives (thickeners, colours, food acids, salt, sugar etc) and as they're cooked, many of the nutrients have been destroyed. However, eating tinned legumes/pulses (lentils, beans, chickpeas) is a good, fast way to get some of these into your meals - just choose the 'no added salt' option if possible.

OK, nutrition lesson over!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i found that that pretty much all the frozen veggies at woolies were from overseas (or 'made from imported and local produce', so could be 99% imported) but coles brand veggies were all 'product of aus'.

this has actually heavily influenced wher i shop now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

SeaShanty  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    I only eat the mc Cain ones. Personally I think they ate better for you. They havnt been sprayed with as many pesticides or been wasting away while they travel half way sccross the country and sit on a shelf with everyone touching them. They are frozen fresh. Unless you are growing them in you'd backyard I don't think you can get any fresher lol
    How did you find out McCain have not been sprayed as much? I usually only
    But frozen organic peas and spinach but did not think McCain was organic?
    Also - just check the sugar content in the syrup of your peaches!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Blossompossumxxxx  (16-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Blossompossum View Post
    Wow, you really know you stuff. Was wondering if you could tell me if I am wrong by thinking the tubs of dived peaches are any good for me. The spc ones. I am pregnant and obsessed with them.

Have always wondered this but never found out..
    Thanks I'm a bit of an amateur nutritionist - I really believe in that whole 'food as medicine' approach (not that I don't also believe in modern medical science!) and a good diet being the basis for good health. That said, I regularly dismount my high horse to eat Maccas & KFC because I'm a dirty fried chicken s.lut!

Anyhoo, diced peaches - and all other canned fruits - are fine in terms of pregnancy BUT like Elijah's Mum said, they are very high in sugar, as they're preserved in syrup or juice. I often rinse off the juice/syrup before eating them. Otherwise just don't eat too many of them. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our 3 youngest beg for 'a cup of frozen veg' when I am cooking dinner. They love them and I don't mind them having them.