+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default For your first birth how long was it between..

..you first noticing SOMETHING was going on to ESTABLISHED LABOUR (4cm).

And how did you feel during this prelabour/early labour, could you hold converstation, travel in a car, do housework, sleep/rest?? Or was it full on the whole time?

The reason I ask is that I have two choices of hospitals, one hospy close to home where I would like to be in teh weeks leading up to the birth and the other 90min-2hrs away where I have family.

I really don't want to spend the weeks leading up to birth hanging around at my families, it will cause me stress, annoy me and make me feel so unsettled. But I think I would be happiest birthing at the bigger hospy.

In an ideal world I woudl liek to travel from home to Melbourne at the first sign of anythign happening, finish my prelabour at my sisters and then transfer to hospy around 6-7cm??

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I had 24 hours of pre labour - it just felt like braxton hicks. I went to the beach for the morning, had my hair done in the arvo, dinner at my mums, and went into full labour that night at 11 ...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My waters broke at 5pm was in transition by 10pm. To be honest if your labour begins with contractions you do not want to be sitting in a car! They are terrible and I found that walking around was the best way for me to deal with them.
    I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Your family will visit you in hospital no doubt and try and help you out no matter where you are.
    Because labour can be quick, regardless of it being a first or subsequent baby, personally I'd choose the closer hospital.
    Good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeh family will visit me regardless, I think I would feel safest at the big hospy but all the other factors make me want to stay at the little hospy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BTW - did u have any sign of anything goign on prior to yoru waters breaking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first spontaneous labour, which was my second birth (induction the first time), I was in pre-labour for 48 hours - the contractions were bad enough that I didn't want to leave the house, as I guess I already knew how quickly things could turn from the first birth. I was not comfortable, could not sleep the whole time and was happiest walking around the house, having baths and trying to relax as much as possible watching movies and reading.

There was no way I was getting into a car unless I was heading to the hospital. We did have to make 2 trips to the hospy during this 48 hour period (because I was a VBAC and they wanted to check me), and although it was a 15min trip it was simply dreadful each time. If you don't have to travel 2 hours I wouldn't if I were you!! Though this is based off my own experience - you could be different and handle it well. Unfortunately for me I just couldn't stand sitting and the bumps were hideous - it sent me sideways, even in pre-labour.

It is lucky I was at home, because once my waters broke I went from 3cm to transition in 40min, so it was intense with contractions on top of each other immediately. Unfortunately for me, bubs was posterior, so even though I went to 9cm in no time at all, because of his position it took 5 hours before he was in my arms. So you just don't know what will happen on the day! If he was in the best position I would have probably had him in the car! So be prepared for everything and anything.

Good luck!

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    32 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    I first woke and noticed something (needing to get up and go to the toilet repeatedly, mild pain/contractions) starting at about 12am, after no prior signs I might go into labour. By 3am I was uncomfortable enough to wake DH to tell him I thought I was having contractions, and after him suggesting I try to lie down, I realised that I needed to walk through the contractions by this point. I sat and rested in between, and could talk through the contractions at this point. We headed to hospital about 8am and the car ride (about 30mins) was awful!! I used a TENS machine during the contractions but it wasn't comfortable that's for sure. When checked at the hospital I was 4cm and they broke my waters which sped things up considerably. DD was born at 4pm that afternoon. In my case I could have done the 90min-2hr trip at the first sign of something happening- it would have been a little uncomfortable, but manageable. However, it did take me a while to realise that what I was feeling was the start of labour, particularly because I hadn't had any other warning signs (though I was 40+3 so should have guessed!), so I am not sure we would have left straight away anyway.

Good luck making your decision - it's a little hard to plan when every labour is different!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My waters broke at about 10pm. Contractions started about 4 hours later (2am). I was fine for most of the day and then by about 4-5pm started to really be uncomfortable and unhappy at home. I got to the hospital at about 7pm and was 4-5cm dilated. DD was born at 3am. So about 17 hours from first contraction to 4cm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

About 50hrs... 2 days/nights at home with zero sleep because the contractions were painful but were 20mins apart (enough to keep me from falling asleep!!) and took FOREVER to progress. I'm public and I know they accept private patients earlier at my hospital... So I had to wait until I was 5mins apart before heading in