+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sex post bleeding in pregnancy

Ladies,

Sorry for potentially tmi but I've got no opportunity to ask this from a doc until next week and I'd like some opinions.

I've been bleeding/spotting - very light - throughout this pregnancy (I'm 12 weeks today). I've had many ultrasounds (including one yesterday) so check on bub - all ok thankfully. Source of bleeding is not determined.

Will sex exacerbate bleeding? Could it cause any worse problems? I know that with my daughter the OB told us to abstain (with no explanation as to why), but the bleeding had stopped by this time...and we've done that this time around but... it's been 8 looong weeks.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

For me it did, because my bleeding came from my cervix so sex would aggravate my cervix and cause it to bleed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

annabanana86  (14-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Sex post bleeding in pregnancy

I probably wouldn't risk it. I have heard you should abstain if you have any bleeding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have bleeding throughout my bleeding also and was told sex can make it worse and it's best to abstain.
    It's up to you if you want to do it or not but yes it could increase your bleeding. personally i would wait.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    but the bleeding is not harming the baby as far as I understand. So: sex can make the bleeding worse, but what happens if the bleeding is worse? I mean, does it do something potentially to the cervix to shorten it? Does it have an impact on the uterus? I'm more curious about why there is a need to abstain as it hasn't been explained to me since my first pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps you should call the hospital and ask for an explanation. I'm sure they will be happy to talk to you, i've called with all sorts of pregnancy concerns.
    I just personally find bleeding stressful so would rather not aggravate it, i can live without sex so it's no big deal for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    For me it did, because my bleeding came from my cervix so sex would aggravate my cervix and cause it to bleed.
    Yep, me too.