+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi - from a teacher perspective, holding a child back in prep is probably more ideal than waiting until they reach middle/upper primary.

Choosing not to hold your child back can sometimes mean that they struggle in many different ways for the rest of their schooling life, this can be socially, their maturation rate, ability to work through problems and academically as well.

Trying to "catch" a child up so they can progress to the next grade is not always the best course of action because they can regress over the school holidays and you're back to square one.

My thoughts are; look at your child compared to the children in the grade in terms of how mature he is, his ability to make friends and his coping ability when he has problems - if you think he struggles in these areas then I would definitely recommend another year in prep, regardless of how he is doing academically at this stage. Academics aren't the most important reason to keep a child back, many children may academically be ok and still stay back because they are immature for their age and unable to cope as well as other kids, this then affects their learning confidence for the rest of their schooling years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Good luck with your decision!

With regard to a tutor, I personally would hesitate to hire one for a child so young (and I'm a teacher, who has tutored kids that age in the past). Obviously any tutor worth the money would make it fun for him, but even so kids still know WHY they're being tutored and it often seems to add to their anxiety around the topics/skills they have difficulty with.
    Of course, it's highly variable depending on the child.
    I completely agree with this also. If he is getting frustrated easily, as you say, then this also points to him not being ready, rather than an academic issue. In these instances tutoring can cause more harm rather than instilling confidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Hi - from a teacher perspective, holding a child back in prep is probably more ideal than waiting until they reach middle/upper primary.

Choosing not to hold your child back can sometimes mean that they struggle in many different ways for the rest of their schooling life, this can be socially, their maturation rate, ability to work through problems and academically as well.

Trying to "catch" a child up so they can progress to the next grade is not always the best course of action because they can regress over the school holidays and you're back to square one.

My thoughts are; look at your child compared to the children in the grade in terms of how mature he is, his ability to make friends and his coping ability when he has problems - if you think he struggles in these areas then I would definitely recommend another year in prep, regardless of how he is doing academically at this stage. Academics aren't the most important reason to keep a child back, many children may academically be ok and still stay back because they are immature for their age and unable to cope as well as other kids, this then affects their learning confidence for the rest of their schooling years.
    Thanks babyla yes that is what a couple of friends who are teachers have said as well. Socially he is good makes friends easily and he interacts well with the other kids. At times I can see his immaturity especially when trying to cope with being teased or kids not listen to what he has to say/ input into their game etc. He is a very sensitive kid and takes everything to heart. We have had a meeting with his teacher about how we can help at home and she showed us his work books and how much he has improved since the start of the year. He is doing really well with his numbers and math work it is more his literacy that he was struggling with. For when she works on their letters & words she now has someone (herself, teachers aid or parent) at each desk to make sure all students are keeping up. Because ds is such a perfectionist and he takes that little bit longer to process somethings he just couldn't keep up. In the past 2 week's of the teacher doing this he has excelled so much and his confidents is so much better which helps as well I think. We will just keep seeing how he is going and make a decision next term as to what we will do. His teacher will set up a meeting with us herself and the principal to discuss everything and what we would like to do if that means holding him back we will. The only problem I have with keeping him back has to do socially with how he will be treated by a couple of the boys in his class who have been picking on him. I feel that they are the type of kids that would take fun in teasing him about still being a prep etc and ds would actually go worse as he is so sensitive and takes what these kids say to heart.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tamute View Post
    As title says we are looking at the possibility of our 5yo DS repeating prep. He is at the younger spectrum of his class as he only turned 5 in April where most of his class are about to turn 6 or have just turned 6. Talking with his teacher today and he is just struggling a bit with his letters and recognising the sounds of his letters which they need to get for when they head into year 1 next year. She is going to get him to work with the teacher aide in the class over the rest of this term to see if he can catch up with the rest of the class and then we will asses how he is going at the end of the term to see what we want to do. We are also having a meeting with me DH and his teacher next week to go through how/what we can do at home to also help him. We really debated at the end of last year wheather or not to hold him back until next year for prep but decided that he was better off at school then at his preschool/kindy as we had been having issues with the carers there not doing as much as we thought they should have been with the kids and I think he would have been worse off if we had done that.
    He has progressed along way since the start of the year where he wouldn't even write his name, had no interest in numbers/letters where now he is getting so much better at recognising letters/numbers when written down its just moving onto the next step where he takes a bit longer then most kids to get it.
    He is quiet a sensitive kid who gets frustrated very easily if he can't get something straight away or not going his way which we are also working on.
    Like his teacher said he is one of those kids that just needs that bit extra time and help before it clicks with him.
    Just wanting to know if anyone else has held their child back and how they coped with it and how you approched talking about it/explaining it with them. The main thing that I am concerened about is socially how he will cope with his friends going up to year 1 and him staying behind as he has also been having problems with a couple of the boys teasing him.
    TIA for any advice anyone can give us.
    I think it'll be good for him to repeat. Alot of boys aren't ready for kindy at a young age (stereotype I know but just seems to be the case). I think an extra year of prep will be good for him. Also he might fit in better with the kids from prep next year. He will make new friends. I've seen children who've repeated and I haven't noticed any bullying from it. He will already know some sounds and things so it will set him off for a good start.

I find that if they fall behind in prep they just fall further behind. In year 1 they are expected to know their sounds and they move on to more complicated sounds and work. SO he will be disadvantaged if he doesn't know all his sounds. You might find that an extra year of prep will just support him that little bit more for the rest of his schooling life.

I know of adults now who had to repeat prep/kindy and they are well accomplished now and another adult was telling me their child had to repeat prep/kindy because they weren't doing so well and by year 3 he was top of the class and she just thought he mustn't have been ready to start prep when he did.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

Hi tam. I agree with lots of the other teachers opinions too to hold him back next year. (being a teacher too!)
    Repeating prep is by far I think the best choice. Kids adapt so fast to change, it's us adults who freak out more. You'll probably notice within one or two days he's made new friends and by the end of the first term he will have forgotten all about his other class.
    You are trying to give him the best start you can, even if he's borderline I would repeat him. Just because that will help him in the long run, he'll grow in confidence too when he can do things without too much extra help etc. by the time he reaches year two or three he won't even realize he repeated a year level. I've repeated kids in year three a few times and they are older but still adapted to the change in friendship groups perfectly fine.
    Still you have some time to see how he fares in the last part of the school year, so waiting until halfway through next term before you commit to the decision is probably a good idea too, if the school allows it.
    Ps. That reading eggs program is fantastic too (don't know who mentioned it) but your school might already have it, if not mention it to them and they might pick it up. We use to only use it for extra with the learning enrichment kids who needed support, now all our lower primary kids do it!! It's really good.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi sorry to crash im subbing! It's reassuring to hear all there positive stories my ds is 4 and is a bit behind other 4 olds mainly speech! We are doing speech therapy and OT but if he is ready for school 2013 then I might consider holding him back too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tamute View Post
    Thanks babyla yes that is what a couple of friends who are teachers have said as well. Socially he is good makes friends easily and he interacts well with the other kids. At times I can see his immaturity especially when trying to cope with being teased or kids not listen to what he has to say/ input into their game etc. He is a very sensitive kid and takes everything to heart. We have had a meeting with his teacher about how we can help at home and she showed us his work books and how much he has improved since the start of the year. He is doing really well with his numbers and math work it is more his literacy that he was struggling with. For when she works on their letters & words she now has someone (herself, teachers aid or parent) at each desk to make sure all students are keeping up. Because ds is such a perfectionist and he takes that little bit longer to process somethings he just couldn't keep up. In the past 2 week's of the teacher doing this he has excelled so much and his confidents is so much better which helps as well I think. We will just keep seeing how he is going and make a decision next term as to what we will do. His teacher will set up a meeting with us herself and the principal to discuss everything and what we would like to do if that means holding him back we will. The only problem I have with keeping him back has to do socially with how he will be treated by a couple of the boys in his class who have been picking on him. I feel that they are the type of kids that would take fun in teasing him about still being a prep etc and ds would actually go worse as he is so sensitive and takes what these kids say to heart.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub
    As hard as it is, try not to think about the teasing. This is something you should flag with the teacher/principal as a concern and those kids will be pulled into line. Teasing is unacceptable and the teachers need to be aware of it, if it occurs. Most kids in P-2 are often unaware of these things happening. A good strategy could be for him to meet some of the new preps for next year during orientation - this will give you a chance to see how he fits in with them and how well he plays - it could be really reassuring as well. Also, you still have another term to go, kids always have a growth spurt ofter term 3 holidays, often physically but emotionally too, so see how that goes before you feel you need to make a final decision. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Re: 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

Your little one sounds exactly like my DS. He is the third youngest in the year, struggles with his letters and sounds and had no interest in then prior to prep. He has gone leaps and bounds too. I am of a strong opinion he should repeat otherwise I am setting him up for failure for the rest of his schooling.

I spoke to his teacher and she said we will discuss at end of this term as she knows I would prefer him to repeat next year and her concern she said already was that he might be too mature with all the new preppies that are starting next year.

If I can't get him to repeat, I am thinking of changing his school to one that will let him repeat and achieve what he can to his best abilities.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry not in your situation but I think you are better holding him back now than for him to struggle to catch up with his peers for the rest of school years.

Reading eggs is fab I do it with my 4yo he looooves it

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in qld and my boy was born in may he started prep this year and is doing great. They do reading eggs in class and the teacher has given their login details so they can do it at home as well.
    If my boy was struggling this year I wouldn't have a hesitation to keep him down if requested as other posts have said I'd rather he stay down in prep than later in his schooling life.
    Maybe see what the class is doing and try to incorporate it into doing things at home, maybe find out the songs they sing to help with the letter sounds I know my boy sang this song goes "a is for apple aaa." and they say the sound of the letter.
    I can understand your frustrations boys do take a little more time I find that my boy doesn't have the social skills and is a child who doesn't mix well.