+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

As title says we are looking at the possibility of our 5yo DS repeating prep. He is at the younger spectrum of his class as he only turned 5 in April where most of his class are about to turn 6 or have just turned 6. Talking with his teacher today and he is just struggling a bit with his letters and recognising the sounds of his letters which they need to get for when they head into year 1 next year. She is going to get him to work with the teacher aide in the class over the rest of this term to see if he can catch up with the rest of the class and then we will asses how he is going at the end of the term to see what we want to do. We are also having a meeting with me DH and his teacher next week to go through how/what we can do at home to also help him. We really debated at the end of last year wheather or not to hold him back until next year for prep but decided that he was better off at school then at his preschool/kindy as we had been having issues with the carers there not doing as much as we thought they should have been with the kids and I think he would have been worse off if we had done that.
    He has progressed along way since the start of the year where he wouldn't even write his name, had no interest in numbers/letters where now he is getting so much better at recognising letters/numbers when written down its just moving onto the next step where he takes a bit longer then most kids to get it.
    He is quiet a sensitive kid who gets frustrated very easily if he can't get something straight away or not going his way which we are also working on.
    Like his teacher said he is one of those kids that just needs that bit extra time and help before it clicks with him.
    Just wanting to know if anyone else has held their child back and how they coped with it and how you approched talking about it/explaining it with them. The main thing that I am concerened about is socially how he will cope with his friends going up to year 1 and him staying behind as he has also been having problems with a couple of the boys teasing him.
    TIA for any advice anyone can give us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Don't think I'll be any help but I have been wondering for a while... what does Prep in Qld involve? I used to be a teacher in Qld but relocated interstate the year before they were introducing Prep as a trial in some schools.
    My understanding ( but I haven't had anyone confirm this for me yet) is that Prep replaced pre-school and that they are 5 in Prep. Is that right??

As far as your problem goes, the best advice I can offer is this.... some children (especially boys) just aren't ready for academic learning just because they are "school age". In my experience, some children struggle through their first year then get into their second year and just zoom. It suddenly all falls into place for them. Maybe that's how it will be for your little boy.

Sorry that I can't be more help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are thinking of holding our 5 year old back as well he is born in may so pretty much just scrapped through. same reasons as you he is just no fully there up with all the other kids in the class.

He is getting a hang of a few certain words and numbers etc but nowhere near where the other kids are at..

like you im going to talk to the teacher and put in alot of work. but im also glad to read someone else is having the same thoughts and problems .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

Hi sandy It's nice to hear we are not the only parents out there going through this I think I will see what his teacher says after our meeting but may also look at maybe a tutor for him for awhile as he gets so frustrated with me and Dh when we try and help. Hope your meeting goes well.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

Quote Originally Posted by kbf2plus2 View Post
    Hi

Don't think I'll be any help but I have been wondering for a while... what does Prep in Qld involve? I used to be a teacher in Qld but relocated interstate the year before they were introducing Prep as a trial in some schools.
    My understanding ( but I haven't had anyone confirm this for me yet) is that Prep replaced pre-school and that they are 5 in Prep. Is that right??

As far as your problem goes, the best advice I can offer is this.... some children (especially boys) just aren't ready for academic learning just because they are "school age". In my experience, some children struggle through their first year then get into their second year and just zoom. It suddenly all falls into place for them. Maybe that's how it will be for your little boy.

Sorry that I can't be more help.
    Hi kbf for example any child born from 1st July 2006 to the 30th June 2007 is eligible to start prep this year 2012. It's hard for the kids like my ds who fall into the younger end of the scale for the reason you said he wasn't really ready mature wise for the academics to start school but he was ready socially & we were having problems with his preschool not really getting them ready for school so we made the decision to send him to prep. He has grown so much since being at school but due to his age & being a stubborn boy! He takes that little bit longer to get things then others in the class. Him repeating will be a last resort and his teacher is going to monitor him and keep us updated.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Have you looked at the reading eggs program on the internet? It's a fabulous program that assists children how to recognise letters and words. I think you can get 2 weeks free so that might be something to help encourage your DS.

http://readingeggs.com.au/

My DS was due to start prep this year but we held him back due to a speech delay.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck with your decision!

With regard to a tutor, I personally would hesitate to hire one for a child so young (and I'm a teacher, who has tutored kids that age in the past). Obviously any tutor worth the money would make it fun for him, but even so kids still know WHY they're being tutored and it often seems to add to their anxiety around the topics/skills they have difficulty with.
    Of course, it's highly variable depending on the child.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Good luck with your decision!

With regard to a tutor, I personally would hesitate to hire one for a child so young (and I'm a teacher, who has tutored kids that age in the past). Obviously any tutor worth the money would make it fun for him, but even so kids still know WHY they're being tutored and it often seems to add to their anxiety around the topics/skills they have difficulty with.
    Of course, it's highly variable depending on the child.
    Renn - that was my thinking as well but wasn't sure as this is my first child, is nice to have this confirmed by someone who's job it is. I think for now we will see how he goes with the extra help from the teacher aide in the class as he really likes her and she knows how to deal with his temper!!!

Bec - Yes a teacher friend of mine who I have been talking with reccommended this to me as well. they have been using the actual books as readers for the class but I think I will look into the program on the internet as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoke with his teacher again this morning and she had a teacher aide sit with him yesterday while they did their work and he did so much better with that extra help. Instead of getting 1 to 0 right he got 5/5 & 3/5 so they will keep up with that at school for the time being and then next week we will have a meeting with the teacher to go through how we can help him at home. Am relieved that the one on one seems to be helping and at the end of the term we will asses how he is going and go from there.
    Thanks again to everyones replies it is nice to know that you are not the only parent out there going through the stress of maybe holding your child back a year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tamute For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (15-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 YEAR OLD Repeating Prep in QLD

My son is a 22nd Jan baby. He was originally starting school at 5yrs and 2 weeks.
    After A LOT of observation and talking to others I kept him back in kinder (VIC) and he started school at 6yrs and 2 weeks instead.
    This year he is in Prep and he is doing fantastic!! He reached the prep reading goal (level5) months ago and is at level 9 now.
    The best thing to do is give your child the best possible start at their schooling, this will shape the rest of their life. If this means keeping them back a year then all it will do is benefit them, rather than they struggle all the way through.
    Best of luck