+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default advice needed re: daycare when new baby arrives

DD will be just over 2.5 when DS arrives in November, and she currently attends daycare 2 days a week while I am studying. I am trying to decide what to do regarding daycare when DS arrives, and I am so undecided. I need some advice - what should I do? what would you do?

Some brief background - DD started at her daycare centre at 11mths when I returned to uni, and she took quite a while to settle in. In the last 6 months she has happily packed her bag and attended daycare, but doesn't seem to absolutely love it (IYKWIM?). She doesn't mention it when she's not there, and doesn't seem to miss it if she doesn't attend. She does go off and play with the other kids/carers when we arrive and is always happy when I collect her, but she will not speak to the carers when there (she is very reserved/shy) and spends a bit of time doing her own thing I think. She is due to move up to a new room at the end of this year/start of next year, and this involves a new centre (next door) and new carers. I am concerned about how she will adapt to this as she has been in the same building with pretty consistent carers since she started.

I don't want to pull her out totally as I will be returning to uni late next year and I dont' want her to have to re-adjust completely. So, my options are to leave her in 2 days a week, or drop it down to 1 day a week. I am concerned that 1 day a week will make it more challenging for her to adapt to her new environment/carers. 2 days a week at least gives her some more consistency, and I like the idea of spending some 1:1 time with newborn DS (and to catch up on sleep, clean, shop, etc). BUT, I also feel guilty, and wonder if DD would benefit being home with me more because she is so shy/reserved. She seems to thrive in her own environment (is so outgoing/talkative at home).

I feel like I should know naturally what is best for DD, but in this instance I don't! It's so hard to predict what life will be like once DS makes his appearance.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was a childcare worker before having my children and in my opinion I would leave her 2 days a week. Keeping things consistent for your DD is a good idea :-) going to daycare 2 days a week will give her time out away from the new baby also. And a place that is just hers if you get my drift? Where she can do big girl activities and spend time with her friends.
    When I had DS my DD was 2 and 9 months, I kept her going to her daycare and she loved showing of her little brother to her friends also lol.
    I would try it for two days a week after your DS is born and in the new section and if it's not working you could try and cut it down to one day :-)
    Good luck! I hope that this has helped!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with above poster.

My DS1 was 2 when I had my DS2. He already attended CC 2 days a week. He loves going as he has his own time and shows off his little brother when we come to pick him up.
    He also gets to do things that I don't always get the chance to do with him, like painting, as I am busy with DS2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your replies. I think that, as suggested, we might leave her in for two days initially and see how she goes. I just have to get over my feeling that she *should* be home with me if I am on leave!

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't get the guilts up!

Ds1 being in CC meant that I had one on one with the new babe as well. Ds2 had to do a bit of waiting when ds1 was home, so it was nice for him to come first sometimes.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sajimum, my case is a little different, DS will be 26months when new baby arrives, and currently goes fulltime to daycare. Even though he goes fulltime, he really never ever mentions daycare when hes not there despite that fact that he genuinely does love it and his carers and happily trots off to play each morning without even a look in my general direction!

I have decided to have him attend 2 days a week whilst I am on maternity leave for 12-14months for a couple of reasons:

1 - I feel bad taking him away completely! he loves his little buddies, and I love seeing them interact.

2 - When I go back to work, he'll be back in 3-4 days a week, and looking at attending kindy/preschool not long after. I dont want that to be a massive shock to his system and think continuing daycare will be a good transition for it.

3 - I am going to love having 2 days with baby!!!

Try not to feel guilty, you're not the only one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad!

Another bonus of keeping your older one in care is that if you need to put baby in at some stage, they will get sibling preference and therefore more likely to get a spot for them too!! It is very hard to find nursery spots here so that was an important part of my decision regarding keeping the other older one in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I too have my dd1 in daycare for 2 days a week whilst I'm on mat leave with dd2. It is good to have those days. I get heaps of housework done, groceries and appts. Also catch up on naps as needed.

The biggest downside - dd1 brings home lots of germs and dd2 is constantly sick. She was hospitalized at 5 wks with 3 separate respiratory viruses!!!