+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advise please on my 17 month old in daycare

Hi
    My 17 month old DD has been attending daycare from 9 to 4 two days a week for seven weeks now. She is my only child so this is also my first childcare experience.
    I was just looking on other peoples experiences with their kids.
    She is normally a very happy, loud and confident little girl. This hasn't changed at home since we started daycare.

The day before daycare I talk to her about it and happily remind her she is going to daycare tomorrow and she happily nodds along. The morning of I will also talk about her going to daycare and what she might do during the day and she is happy.
    As soon as she sees the centre (in the car in carpark) she starts crying and continues untill I leave. Before I go I always say see u later and give her a kiss.

The ladies have always told me she stops not long after I leave and seems ok in the arvo untill I walk in the door when there are more tears. They have said she has a good day (same old comment in book "dd has had a wonderful day")

Last week one of the girls mentioned she laughed for the first time at daycare that day. I was a little shocked though as a wonderful day to me would mean she was happy and laughing. She is always laughing?

Anyway sorry for the long post but I was just looking if anyone had advice. Is this normal? Will she get better? It does not seem to affect her at home.

Daycare is also not optional for us either at the moment

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yes Its perfectly normal kids that age take a long time to get uses to the routine of day care and used to the fact u always come back after drop off 2 days a week for 7 weeks is nothing that's only 14 visits she will improve

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds very much like my DS. He started daycare at 14 months, 1 day per week. He's now 19 months and goes 2 days a week. Even now when I drop him off he has a cry (this starts when we get into the room and have packed his bag etc away) - I always ask a carer to give him a cuddle while I'm leaving. I often hang around a little longer in reception and he stops within a few minutes. When I go to pick him up I 'sneak' up on him and try to get a peek at what he is doing before he sees me. I've never seen him upset, he's usually wandering around playing - but as soon as he see's me he starts crying and runs over. I think it is just a release of emotions type of crying - that I actually came back!!

In the last few weeks he has stopped crying when I pick him up and just continues on playing, so I think he is improving . He does act a little strangely when we get home sometimes (hyper etc), but I think that has to do with daycare being such a full on over-stimulating day.

Anyway, sorry for the long post - I think what your DD is doing sounds fairly normal. Perhaps if you are worried about how she is during the day you can pick her up unannounced at a different time to normal and try to catch a look at how she is before she see's you.

ETA: I also wouldn't be too worried about the laughing thing. DS is a fairly extroverted happy little thing at home, but at daycare is much more reserved. I think just being around all those other kids and a different set of rules/ structure to the day than at home can be a little overwhelming for them.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 14-08-2012 at 11:24.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advise please on my 17 month old in daycare

Thank you guys I feel much more at ease now. It's so hard to know if your doing the right thing. Fingers crossed she continues to improve. Thanks again