+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Did you smoke during pregnancy?

I've been reading this article here about pregnant women who continue to smoke:

http://www.mumzone.com.au/pregnancy/...g-the-message/

I was a smoker for about 10 years, and gave up two years before becoming pregnant for the first time. My best friend was still smoking when she found out she was pregnant, and gave up straight away, I think a lot of female smokers tend to do this... the morning sickness sure helps quell the need for a cigarette!

Reading the article I was quite shocked to learn the on-going health effects that smoking has on people who's mothers smoked with them in the womb - my own mother smoked all through her pregnancy with me, so I'm more at risk of heart disease, obesity, kidney disease and diabetes... Gee, thanks mum!!

Did you smoke during pregnancy? Did you find giving up easy? Did you fully understand the ongoing health effects your smoking had on your baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave up the day I found out, it was hard really hard but I kept telling myself not to be selfish and that I was putting my baby at risk

my DH was really proud of me so that helped alot

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had maybe 2-4 smokes a month while pregnant with DS1. No I didn't really understand the ongoing risks.

DS2 I quit as soon as I found out and it was really quite easy to stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I quit when I found out I was pregnant, at 20ish weeks. Of course I understood the danger I was putting my unborn child in, I think you'd have to be living under a rock not to. I spent the rest of my pregnancy freaking out about my baby being premmy, sick, SIDS and everything else associated with smoking. Even though I didn't know I was pregnant, I would have been responsible if anything happened to my son and I don't think I could live with that. I really hope he doesn't devlop any health issues as a result of my lifestyle before I knew I was pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tainted - it's really interesting that you say 'I would have been responsible if anything happened, I don't think I could live with that'. I totally agree with you, and I think most mums would...

What I struggle with is that while most mothers know about danger of SIDS and low birth weight, most people seem to think that once you've stopped smoking and the baby is 'out', the danger has passed - but that's actually not true, the damage is done for life! Yet another thing for parents to feel guilty about - as if we didn't have enough already

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with that, if my son has asthma or respitory issues chances are it will be my fault. At least I know I didn't knowingly put him at risk but that doesn't change the guilt I would feel knowing my actions caused any illness/health issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't smoke with my 2 eldest but did on and off with the next 3, I gave up when I lost bub #5 at 19wks I was so consumed with guilt, then turned around and lost another bub at 20wks while not smoking :/ never smoked since

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smoking in the pregnancy time can also affect the baby health.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessdon View Post
    Did you smoke during pregnancy? Did you find giving up easy? Did you fully understand the ongoing health effects your smoking had on your baby?
    Yes, I did continue to smoke during my pregnancy. I smoked 12mg rollies and was smoking roughly 20 a day.

When I eventually did quit (a few years ago now) yes I found it incredibly easy. Just finished the pack and didnt buy more.

No, I didnt understand the ongoing effects my smoking had on my baby. My son is now 8yrs old and has no health issues. He is an avid sports player and has no asthma or other lung related issues either. When he was born I asked the midwife id the placenta was gross. Her words were "I could tell you were a smoker but it wasnt that bad. Ive definitely seen worse, trust me".

None of my post is defending those that smoke during pregnancy, nor criticizing them. Just my experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't smoke from the night before I found out - not even tempted. I was 37 and single, then got together (again!) with my now husband and six weeks later conceived. I considered myself incredibly lucky to be given a chance at something I thought had passed me by so no, I didn't consider even having one.